Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger No 1B- How large of a scope obj. diameter?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:03 PM

Default Ruger No 1B- How large of a scope obj. diameter?

Guys- I just bought a used Ruger No 1B in .338 Win Mag- Mint condition with the ruger rings already on it. Looking at the height of the rings I'm wondering if a 40mm objective is the max or can it take a 44 or 50mm?
I believe Ruger makes low, med and high rings; is that correct?
For those of you who've owned or own Ruger No 1's, what seemd to be your best height for cheek/eye comfort to the stock when looking through the scope?
Your feedback is appreciated.
Old 01-01-2007, 12:11 AM

Default RE: Ruger No 1B- How large of a scope obj. diameter?

All I know is that they do make low, med, and high rings. Ruger's not the only maker of "Ruger-style" rings but they are hard to find around my area so test fitting may be hard. Burris and B-sqaure make bases/adaptors that fit you Ruger-style reciever and allow you to use regular "Weaver-style" rings for a little less $$$ than buying new Ruger-style rings. (Of course, its only a cheaper option if you already have some extra rings laying around.) Burris is a two-piece that I *hear* are worthless 'cause you can't keep everything in line. The B-square is a one piece.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 358WINMAN

Guys- I just bought a used Ruger No 1B in .338 Win Mag- Mint condition with the ruger rings already on it. Looking at the height of the rings I'm wondering if a 40mm objective is the max or can it take a 44 or 50mm?
I believe Ruger makes low, med and high rings; is that correct?
For those of you who've owned or own Ruger No 1's, what seemd to be your best height for cheek/eye comfort to the stock when looking through the scope?
Your feedback is appreciated.
I have a Kahles Helia 6X42 on my 1B in Ruger-made medium rings, and there's maybe two or three mm between the objecive bell and the barrel. If you go to high rings, the 44mm should be OK - I can't say about the 50mm....... The scope is low enough for me mounted in med. rings....
Old 01-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would put a Leupold 2.5x8x36 on that rifle. Should fit no problem.
Old 01-01-2007, 01:35 PM

One small enough to fit around your dick, should work just fine, although, I don't think they make rings that small.[8D]
Old 01-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Fork Horn

MAG MAN is off his meds....looks like he is on the downer side. LOL
Old 01-02-2007, 07:53 AM

Thanks guys for the feedback. Since a set of rings came on the gun ( i'm not sure which height they are), I'll take the entire rifle to the gun shop and test the Leupold and Zeiss for bell clearance. I was hoping to avoid that task, but it seems inevitable since I have no extra scopes laying around and I'd be guessing at ring height.
Hope all of you had a very Happy New Year!!! Good luck in 2007 and shoot straight!

PS: DoubleA, my**** would never make it in a set of rings, more like a paper towel tube!LOL
Old 01-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: 358WINMAN

Thanks guys for the feedback. Since a set of rings came on the gun ( i'm not sure which height they are), I'll take the entire rifle to the gun shop and test the Leupold and Zeiss for bell clearance. I was hoping to avoid that task, but it seems inevitable since I have no extra scopes laying around and I'd be guessing at ring height.
Hope all of you had a very Happy New Year!!! Good luck in 2007 and shoot straight!

PS: DoubleA, my**** would never make it in a set of rings, more like a paper towel tube!LOL
No doubt, the best solution of all.....