Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

TC encore rifle

Old 12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
Spike

Default TC encore rifle

Please let me know what youthink of the encore, primarily accuracy as dependability is probably not an issue. Suddenly interested in single shots and the ruger #1 is a little out of budget. Can you keep scope on barrel and switch on and off with no change to accuracy??
Old 12-31-2006, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: TC encore rifle

My Encore is a tack driver. Outshoots most factory bolt guns.

But, right out of the box, it wouldn't shoot any factory load inside of two inches. Apparently this isn't really common. But, I bought an oversized hinge pin from Mike Bell (bellm-tcs.com) who is a real authority on the guns. That simple $8 pin fixed the problem and now its terrific. Check out his website, its full of useful information that you will likely want/need to know about TCs both before and after you buy.

Happy New Year.
Old 12-31-2006, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

All of my Encore's are accurate,you won't be sorry...
Old 12-31-2006, 11:33 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: gobuffs

Please let me know what youthink of the encore, primarily accuracy as dependability is probably not an issue. Suddenly interested in single shots and the ruger #1 is a little out of budget. Can you keep scope on barrel and switch on and off with no change to accuracy??
I had to do alot of work to my encore to get it to shoot well. I had to have an oversized hinge pin put in, and the hole matched on my barrel. Before, I could easily push the hinge pin out with my little finger. Too loose. I also had to put pillars in the forarm to free float it. Now, its pretty awesome. But changing barrels, I notice its off little bit each time I reinstall. Only like 1MOA off, but still some. You will see the same bolts too most likely if you take the action out of the stock.

Old 12-31-2006, 12:35 PM

i have a stainless encore with a t/c custom shop 24" .280rem with muzzle brake and a bushnell 2.5-10X40. veryu happy with the rifle and scope. i just ordered a nikon monarch 6.5-20X44 and i'm planning on getting a 22-250 heavy barrel, not sure if i'm gonna go factory or custom on it, and do the usual tricks, oversized hinge pin, etc etc. with the 280 it shoots moa and that is perfect for me shooting out to 300 on pa whitetails. would like to achieve sub moa with the 22-250 so i got some work to do. i am switching back to wood furniture also, would like to go with a nice thumbhole, more than likely laminates
Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do you know if you should get a new hinge pin? I have to use a wood dowel(or whatever) against mine and tap it out with a hammer. How tight is your new oversize pin?
Old 12-31-2006, 01:39 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

How do you know if you should get a new hinge pin? I have to use a wood dowel(or whatever) against mine and tap it out with a hammer. How tight is your new oversize pin?
That is exactly the way it should be duck. No excuse for T/C sending out an action like mine where you can almost shake it out. Also the pin should be about that way thru the hole in the barrel to match.

I am not big on waiting for shipping and dealing with mfg. so I just had a machinist fix mine. My action was used anyway.

Old 12-31-2006, 04:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll have to try it just the barrels and then just the frame. To be honest, I never thougt anything about it being lose or tight until browsing around here.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike makes four sizes. The 1x is the same size as the factory one, or maybe just .001" larger. The 2x is what I have in mine and it is about .004" bigger. Had to put a lot of Ballistol on it and tap it through with a rubber mallot. Had to hit it right stiffly at the end. The factory pin slid out with just a little pressure, I could push it out easily with a plastic punch.

When you pull the trigger guard back to open the action on most Encore's, they flop open. Mine, you have to apply a fair amount of downward pressure on it to open it up. And it locks up like a bank vault.