Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin 336 Help

Old 12-30-2006, 05:56 PM

Default Marlin 336 Help

I recently purchased a Marlin 336W. Today I took it out to the shooting range for the first time and I really liked it. The only problem is that I dont have good eyes, so I would much rather have a scope on it. I have been considering buying a Leupold VX-1 scope (2x7 x 33) with weaver mounts. My only problem is I am not sure what kind of base to use. Does anyone know of a good scope base that will fit the Marlin 336and will fit thereceiverand not stretch over it? And are there any other suggestions for a scope? Model and/or part numbers would be a big help.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2006, 07:04 PM

Default RE: Marlin 336 Help

Leupold Rifleman Marlin 336 part #55910. Walmart usually stocks these and I found some on clearance a few months ago for $1.50 when they where remodeling. back to normal price now but still cheap.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:39 PM

I prefer the turn in type mount as opposed to the Weaver style. I have a Marlin 336 and have a two piece mount and rings made by Millett that I have had flawless success with. Leupold, Redfield, Burris and others make pretty much the same type of set up. My son used one of the Leupold 2-7x33 scopes on his Marlin 375 and it does works fine. I like a straight 4 power and use a Weaver K4. There is less to go wrong with a fixed power and I find 4x sufficent to put the bullet on target at 30-30 lever action ranges. You're going to spend some extra bucks on the Leupold, don't scrimp on the mounts.

Good hunting,
Punkinball
Old 12-30-2006, 07:51 PM

I know this wasn't the question. But you can get a much better scope for the cost of the Leupold.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Yea he's very right on the better for the money. people get their heads filled with leupolditis and tune out alot of other great buys for the money. in the top end scopes i think its hard to beat leupold but if in the market i'd be lookin at burris, swarovski, etc. I personally like Nikon and for that price range I think Nikon might be your better bet. If you want a lower power I got a Bushnell Sportsman 1.5-4.5x32 and love it. I put it on my T/C .50 cal. At basspro it is like $79 and WalMart sometimes has these in stock. They also have good deals on the Nikons time to time. I saw one had the Nikon Team Realtree 3-9x40 for $109. But I do recommend that Leupold scope mount. Rings is really a personal choice, me I only use the Leupold rings as well. dont have part number handy though.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 PM

I have a Bushnell Sportsman 3-9x40 on my 17HMR and it is a good scope for the money. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on my .270 and it is also a great scope. The decidion is up to you, buy something you will be happy with.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Leupold Standard Mount. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2006, 11:14 PM
Fork Horn

Only mounts I know of you can get that won't stretch over the receiver up onto the barrel are the warne two piece bases/mounts. Be real careful and make sure you check your scope /eye relief and mounting location or your wasting your money. Having to mount the scope betwen the two bases mounted on the receiverthat are so close together at the same time as you adjust fordistance from your eye is almost impossible. Hope it helps. ( I have used the warne'sbut only with red dots where eye relief was never a problem, tried it with a scope and no go for me as it set the scope too far back and too close to my eyes.)take care.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:19 AM

Wow. This was the first post I made on this forum, and I didnt know how people would respond, or if they even would. But I would like to say thanks to all of you for helping me out on this one. A lot of good information here, Im going to continue to look into other scope and mount options. Thanks again

Aloha
Old 12-31-2006, 12:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Varmit Kong

Wow. This was the first post I made on this forum, and I didnt know how people would respond, or if they even would.
You will find this entire forum has ALOT of good people with good information. I hardly ever see a question go unanswered (not always correctly ) but still answered.

Quick Reply: Marlin 336 Help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.