Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

O/U lock-up

Old 12-29-2006, 04:08 PM

Default O/U lock-up

Bought my first O/U yesterday -- a used traditions 20ga -- got home and did a really good inspection. Found that the barrell has a minute amount of creep when locked into firing position. By minute I mean definately less than 1/32 of an inch and have to be holding up past the forearm to get enough leverage to do it. Took me a long time to determine barrell lock-up vs. loose stock. So I am wondering:

1. is this common to O/U's
2. is it due to manufacture or use
3. could it get worse and how much (will probably shoot hundreds vs. thousands of rounds per year)

Need to make a decision ASAP on whether to keep the gun or return. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: O/U lock-up

#1. It's not necessarily common but it does happen.

#2. Could be either or.

#3. Yes it will continue to get worse. Every time you pull the trigger the barrels are being forced to open by the pressuresand if there is "wiggle room" there the barrels get a running start so to speak and smack the locking device making the problem worse.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:00 PM

I'm with Bigbulls on this one. Return it. 1/32 of an inch is a huge amount when it comes to lockup on a gun. And a Traditions is probably not worth the expense of having a gunsmith tighten up the action - unless you can get Traditions to do it for free under warranty.

I have a 1959 Browning Superposed that has had a boxcar load of shells fired through it. No wiggle in lockup. Only thing that has happened over the years is that the lever has shifted slightly to the left in the locked position.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:43 PM

Good News -- at least in my opinion. Talked to the store today, they are going to smith it for me. I say good news because I really wanted a gun for my kid that would break down and fit in my good lock case. I am confident that they can fix the problem. By the way, as I have looked at it more, I would say it is definately moving less that 1/64. You can only verify it by putting your thumb on the top rib where it meets the receiver.
Old 12-31-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It can be fixed very easily by a smith. I have adjusted hundreds of o/u,s/s,and singles over the years.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info Stalking Bear, but actually I took it back. THis is the second double barrell I've had with issues that would need smithing.After some thought and reflection, I have decided I need a reliable gun that I don't have to worry about this stuff with.