Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SMITH & WESSON 44 MAG INFO ??

Old 12-27-2006, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default SMITH & WESSON 44 MAG INFO ??

I HAVE A GUY WANTING TO SELL ME A S & W 44 MAG WITH AN 8 INCH BARREL ...IT COMES IN A WOODEN BOX AND HAS A CLEANING KIT INCLUDED .... THE MODEL IS MOD29-2 AND THE SERIAL NUM. IS NA0256 ... but the "A" may be a "1" HARD TO TELL...CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHEN THIS PISTOL WAS MADE AND WHAT ITS WORTH ...IT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION....THIS IS A PIC

THANK YOU
DD

Old 12-27-2006, 05:59 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: SMITH & WESSON 44 MAG INFO ??

Smith & Wesson produces a wide range of firearms, including many different sizes and types of revolvers. This FAQ deals specifically with the .44 Magnum models.

The .44 Magnum cartridge was introduced in 1955 by Remington for use in the [then] new Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum revolver. In years following, other manufacturers added .44 Magnum revolvers to their lineups. In addition, there are several rifles that chamber the .44 Magnum cartridge. Today, the .44 Magnum is still considered to be one of the most powerful handgun cartridges available commercially.

From 1955 to 1957, S&W's big revolver was simply called the "The .44 Magnum." In 1957, when S&W standardized the model numbering of their products, the .44 Magnum was continued as the S&W model 29.

Smith and Wesson .44 Magnum revolvers have heavyweight steel frames, and have been available with blued, nickel, or stainless steel finishes. The nickel finish is no longer available on newly manufactured models. The blued and nickel models are called the model 29. The stainless model is called the model 629, and is identical in all respects to the model 29 except for the finish. There have been several specialized versions of the 629, such as the "629 Classic", "629 DX", "629 Classic Hunter", etc., with features such as interchangable front sights, full lug barrels, special grips, etc. For purposes of this document, we will refer to all of these revolvers collectively as the "29" except where noted below.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

THANKS REB .... BUT I STILL WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT WHEN THIS PISTOL WAS MADE AND A BALL PARK VALUE.

DD
Old 12-27-2006, 06:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Couldn't find the exact year it was made, but my above post suggests late 50's. Here is a Mod-29 not a Mod 29-2, but an idea of what a Mod 29 is selling for,

Southern-Ammo[/align]
Old 12-27-2006, 07:55 AM
DM

You have to go by the serial number 29-2's were made into the 70's i believe, as mineare -2's and i bought them back then.

Every little detail makes a difference in the price. Here's some of them...What is the condition of the wood box? Are all of the access.. with it? Are the access..the right ones for "that" gun? Condition of gun? do you have the origional paper work? do you have the box the wood box came in? The type of grips and kind of checkering they have on them?

It's collectable, and every detail makes a difference.... As for mine, they are hunting guns and i don't give a damn what they are worth... When i'm takeing my "eternal dirt nap" somene else can worry about that...

For the last word on S&W's there's no better place than here http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve They know every detail to every S&W made! On top of that, they are a great bunch of guys...

DM
Old 12-27-2006, 08:02 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

I HAVE A GUY WANTING TO SELL ME A S & W 44 MAG WITH AN 8 INCH BARREL ...IT COMES IN A WOODEN BOX AND HAS A CLEANING KIT INCLUDED .... THE MODEL IS MOD29-2 AND THE SERIAL NUM. IS NA0256 ... but the "A" may be a "1" HARD TO TELL...CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHEN THIS PISTOL WAS MADE AND WHAT ITS WORTH ...IT IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION....THIS IS A PIC

THANK YOU
DD

The gun is worth between 450-500 dollars depending on the condition.

The 29-2 came out in 1967 and stayed until 1982. For me its much preferred to have the most recent 29-5 with all 9 engineering changes from the first Mod29. Check to see if it has 5, 4 or 3 screws holding the plate on the side. It makes a difference in blue books.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: DoctorDeath

THANK YOU
DD

The gun is worth between 450-500 dollars depending on the condition.

The 29-2 came out in 1967 and stayed until 1982. For me its much preferred to have the most recent 29-5 with all 9 engineering changes from the first Mod29. Check to see if it has 5, 4 or 3 screws holding the plate on the side. It makes a difference in blue books.
which is more desirable ?

dd
Old 12-28-2006, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smith and Wesson can get all that info for you by the serial number.
Just call. They helped me get some history on an old model 39 9mm that I have.

THey'll also know which 'A' or '1' belongs in the number.

Good luck.
-Bulz