Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which Handgun

Old 12-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which Handgun

I was wondering what you thought the best handgun would be for a sidearm. I like to bowhunt but i would like a handgun for security.
Iam going touse it for defense against black bear, and cougar.
Tell me what caliber and brand.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Which Handgun

Springfield XD45 would be a good choice.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:05 AM

If the animal is close and i mean close like 5 yards and charging i would go with a XD45 but the problem is i dont think it had enuff knock down power for that quick kill for me. That is why i like my Ruger SuperBlack hawk .44mag. For and all out blow the biggest hole i can on a charging animal. I have got one hog with it so far that was coming at me. One shot to the head and it was down but that can be said with a 45acp also.

Form a ballistics look the .44 has in some rounds 1,105LB of knock down force and the 45acp only has 476LB so you have more that double the knock down. But if you miss because of the adrenaline you have to make a heavie pull on the tricker with a .44 and with a 45 you can easly empy the mag in 4secs with every round counting.

You cant beat a .44mag but my second chocie is the 45acp and i do have both.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:32 AM
Fork Horn

I'd go with a wheel gun. I own (and LOVE!) several semi autos, but for your purposes, I'd rather be assured of a click and a bang when I pull that trigger.

I wouldn't go any lower than a .357 mag, but you're going to have to consider the weight of the sidearm, too. A few extra pounds on your side can become an annoyance if you're trudging for 20 miles a day.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

I'd go with a wheel gun. I own (and LOVE!) several semi autos, but for your purposes, I'd rather be assured of a click and a bang when I pull that trigger.

I wouldn't go any lower than a .357 mag, but you're going to have to consider the weight of the sidearm, too. A few extra pounds on your side can become an annoyance if you're trudging for 20 miles a day.
I agree with this post. A revolver is the way to go.When you are in a stressful situation (ieunder attack) I wanta pistol that has a very lowchancefor a malfunction. I am not saying that the automatics are not reliable or don't work, but you have to acknowledge that revolversmalfunction a lot less.Ruger and Smith & Wesson offer small .357 mags and larger .44 mags. If have an old Colt revolver you can load the 45 LC to be comparable to the 44 mag. The old Colts and their clones are single action. I would highly recommend a double action revolver.

PS how legal is thisfor you to carry a handgun while bow hunting?
Old 12-27-2006, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definately check the legalities of carrying a handgun while archery hunting in archery only seasons/hunting units.

If it is not legal...bear spray.

If it is...then read on.

I would look at the SW 329 (44mag). Very light weight, great for just in case carry. Won't get too heavy (because if its too heavy, you won't carry it, and if you don't carry it...its a good as useless). Recoil is going to be severe, but, I wound not suspect that it would be any worse than getting mauled by a bear/mountain lion. I have shot the heavier weight/lower caliber .357 version of this gun and highly recommened it.

Here is a link to a picture, hopefully it will connect, couldn't make it post the picture in my reply.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/wcsstore...3414_large.jpg
Old 12-27-2006, 07:18 AM
NJB

If you are considering a semi-autoI would take a look at the Glock 36.
It is a .45acp designed to use a single stack magazine. I have owned one for about three years andlove it. When making your decision I would notallowa wheel gun's relialability tosway you. A modern semi-auto from a respected company like Glock is incredible relialble.I feel the only things a revolver has to offerover a well made semi-auto are larger calibers and better looks.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys for the info on the handguns, but can you tell me what you think of a 40 cal.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Taurus Smith and Wesson Total Titanium.

Quick Reply: Which Handgun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.