Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun scope

Old 01-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotgun scope

im gonna bet there arent much build difference between a budget rifle and a budget shotgun scope other than a shorter parallax for a shotgun scope. i herd that an air rifle scope is actually better at destroying a scope. i dont know why though. maybe a certain frquency vibration or something.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:51 PM
Typical Buck

If money is an issue the Simmons 4X Pro-Diamond is a good choice. I used 1 for several years with no troubles.
Since then I've used the Leupold 2X-7X shotgun scope. I would recomend this scope to anyone. Works very
well in low light.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Bushnell 3x9 on my Mossberg 835 Thumbhole Turkey Series. I love it. Don't know the cost of it offhand (came w/ the shotgun).

Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stretchhunts

This was the first year I used a shotgun scope. I borrowed my buddy`s back up gun after I missed a nice buck with my iron sights. What`s a good scope for a shotgun. What should I look to spend? Any info on this would help alot. thanks.
Stretch

You don;t need to spend much. You can get a Nikon Prostaff 2-7X32 for dirt-cheap. They are durable, have a lifetime warranty and crystal-clear optics for a scope that inexpensive.

Here's an image of it.
http://www.ultout.com/images/52270.jpg

Here's a website with info and ordering
http://www.gamaliel.com/cart/customer/product.php?productid=4107&cat=990&page=1

Old 01-02-2007, 08:03 AM

You may also consider a Nikon Prostaff, 2x7 power for around $130. Life time warranty, but not a lot of bells and whistles.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Rifle scopes Leupold Rifleman 3-9x40mm Muzzleloader ... -

This one has 4.2" eyereilf @ 3X........75ydParallax Free.......And Life time Warranty! Yoy can use it on Rifle/Shotgun/Muzzleloader for $219
Old 01-02-2007, 08:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stretchhunts

This was the first year I used a shotgun scope. I borrowed my buddy`s back up gun after I missed a nice buck with my iron sights. What`s a good scope for a shotgun. What should I look to spend? Any info on this would help alot. thanks.

Mike
A good scope for a shotgun is ANY low-magnification, FIXED-X riflescope (2.5X to 4X) that has a long eye relief (at least 4") so you can get far enough away from the eyepievce so it won't recoil into your eyebrow. In addition, it must be tough enough to stand up to the heavy recoila slug load produces. Many older scopes availbale places like e-Bay will meet this requirement. I would recommend a Leupold 2.5X Comact, or an old steel-tube Weaver K2.5, K3, or K4, or similar scope for a shotgun. No variable scopes are needed for a shotgun slug shooting!
Old 01-02-2007, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

i herd that an air rifle scope is actually better at destroying a scope.
This applies to spring-powered air rifles, not pump-up or CO2 powered ones. It's because the "recoil" of a spring-powered airgun occurs in the opposite direction (toward the front of the gun), rather than to the rear. Ordinary scoopes are made to stand up to rearward recoil, not a push in the opposite direction.