Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

NOVA vs SUPERNOVA???

Old 12-24-2006, 08:28 PM

Default NOVA vs SUPERNOVA???

What's the differences here? It Looks like the supernova has a different fore-arm piece but thats the best I can tell.
This is a can of worms, I know, but do people like theirs? Am I better to stick with a Synth. 870/835/BPS/1300? Guess I'm asking about purely utility shotguns. (Read: Do-all, rabbit/duck/turkey. I've got better looking guns for all the other stuff.) Lighter the better (12gauge,3"min) which I know is not the pump action's strong suite.

Monte Carlo stock or the smallest Drop at heel/comb is a plus for me.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:09 PM

Default RE: NOVA vs SUPERNOVA???

....................and round TWO!!!!!!!

1100 vs 11-87. The 1100 is only good for 2 3/4. 11-87 does 3". Is there a difference in the balance of these guns? Or are they identical except for chamber?
Old 12-25-2006, 09:05 AM

Opinion---the 1187 feels much better to me

Nova vs supernova----let your pocketbook decide.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

....................and round TWO!!!!!!!

1100 vs 11-87. The 1100 is only good for 2 3/4. 11-87 does 3". Is there a difference in the balance of these guns? Or are they identical except for chamber?
1100's are better guns. They do only shoot 2 3.4" shells (which is only a hinderence if you think you can't shoot and need to compensate with AAA fire. But I know you can....

The problem as I see it with the 1187 is that it was supposed to be an improvement on the 1100, which is a fantasic gun (as long as you clean it). But, the 1100, with its two gas ports, was designed for 2 3/4" shells. You take the 1187, monkey with the gas system, and ta-da, its supposed to shoot the heavier loads without sending the bolt slamming into the receiver (and in extreme cases, your face) but, its supposed to cycle the super light skeet loads too. No way! The orignial design will, but you are working with different pressures, different lengths and a differnt design!

A similar domestic example...the Winchester 94. Designed for long action rifle rounds. Take the 94 trapper, they took the 94, cut it down, and tried to make it do something the original design was never intended for. And they were miserable guns (at least, compared to their long stroke ancestors).

Those Supermag 3.5" 1187s are even worse. Most I have seen don't want to shoot anything but 3" shells. The 2 3/4" are powerful enough to cycle, and the 3.5" are too long to eject correctly. But Remington shotguns have their own problems here lately I won't get in to.

Long and short, my opinion and my experience, get an older, used 1100. Shoot 2 3/4" hevi shot, and call it a day.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

My son has a Nova and loves it. Forearm rattles somewhat and 3.5" shells get hung up here and there. I use a 870 Express and this gun shoots real nice - my older son also has one that we use for upland - turkey and waterfowl. I also have a Browning autoloader that shoots nice - only 2.75" and full coke barrel so I only use for upland.

Value I would say the 870 is the best - when my son reads this he will have a fit.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:58 AM
Typical Buck

SuperNova has the recoil reduction built into the stock. Also the Stock can be removed from the receiver... where the original Nova has the stock and receiver all one piece.

Nord QC Bouman... there are 2 allen screws.. oneon each side of the slide of your son's Nova.. you tighten these ever so slightly at a time.. and you can completely emiminate the forearm rattle. If you get them too tight.. the action will be more difficult to cycle.. so just find the "sweet spot" where it doesn't rattle.. but you can still cycle the action easily.

As for my personal choice.. Iown 2 ofthe Browning BPS.. it's the best pump gun that I've ever shot.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:57 AM
Fork Horn

KBacon - Thanks I will look at tonight!