Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A little insight on my rifle?

Old 12-24-2006, 03:13 PM

Default A little insight on my rifle?

I'm fairly new to the whole firearm thing of hunting. I really have only messed with bow. This was my first year with a rifle. I was'nt lucky enough to even see any legal deer this year. So I never got to really experience the excitement of shooting my gun. Of courseI shot it 6 or 7 times to actually see what it could do. But thats not enough! I've been trying to find info on the net about my gun but I've had no luck whatsoever.

So I figure since I browse this site, you guys definitely have to have some info. on my gun! The only thing I've found so far is that it retails at about $700 new. I got it used and only a year-old in great condition for almost $400 with some goodies.

This is what it says on the barrel: B.S.A.Guns LTD. England;7mmr MAG 2.50 19.5 TONS

The guy who sold it only told me that it was a firearm that was made in New England. I really would like to know more about it than just that, though.

If you know, I would also like to know how well a 7mm performs, what kind of game I can hunt, and the bullet characteristics, like trajectory, etc.

When I got it, my friend told me that it was a really good gun, especially for the price. He said that it definitely will be able to take any North American big game animal. Well, it sure does sound inspirational not to let this rifle go, but he is by no means an expert in firearms.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:22 PM

Default RE: A little insight on my rifle?

Apparently, upon doing research, BSA, quit making centerfire rifles many years ago, but I did get to see an olderBSA rifle and it did look like a quality firearm, I'd say you got a good deal, as for the 7mm mag, it is a fine cartridge, and you can hunt most game in NA, with the exception of big bears and bison, it is a rather flat shooting cartridge and excells at long range shooting.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:39 PM

Haha, I was just going to post to you about this subject and you beat me to the punch! So if I have something go wrong with my rifle would I still be able to get it serviced since BSA is no longer? Let me guess, thats why we have professionals called gunsmiths...So if I have a discontinued firearm, will the value of it go up? Only problem about this rifle is the blue. I've never seen something so odd of a finish... The guy who sold it to me hunted deer with it, and thats what I probably will be doing the majority of the time, unless I see a coyote. Then I bet he is going to be just a hunk of meat.

Would I be able to do bear or bison if I upp'ed the grain? I highly doubt I will hunt for bison, and I know I will go for bear sometime. I've been told it is a flat shooting bullet, but I been wondering what its effective range is?

I been using Remington 7mm Mag Core-Lokt cartridges at 150 grain for deer. I don't think it kicks a whole too lot. Which is ironic... to me atleast.

And also, I got the scope from him that was on it for $250. Its a Burris Fullfield II 3x-9x 40mm. Does this scope have the capacity to see a long range shot for this rifle? Just wondering, but most of the area around here is brushy, not much field.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:43 PM

If anything goes wrong your gunsmith should be able to fix the defect. If you were going on a bear or bison hunt you would probably wanna go with a 175 gr bullet. The maximum effective range for the 7mm mag, is how far you can accurately shoot it. That scope is fine for long range shooting, I have shot 400+ yards with a 3x9x40 scope, for years.
Old 12-24-2006, 03:58 PM

175 grains? Really. Thats striking for me. I've read before that something in the 250 grain range would be optimal for bigger game. I'm not sure how much of a 25 grain difference from 150-175 would make. Thats why I'm asking questions, haha. I figure its how far I can accurately shoot it, obviously. But I thought maybe into account of energy loss. 7mm is a small bullet, so I figure it may not do very good on penetration after a certain distance.

I have'nt had the opportunity to shoot long range shots, so what does the target look like at that distance you've shot at? I'm betting a 6 inch target is going to be pretty hard to shoot at that range?

Would you possibly know what the drop is for my cartridge? I'm thinking that sighting in my scope at 100 yards or 150 yards is best for me, but I just wonder what kind of drop I'll need to account for once I get further then that with my rifle...
Old 12-24-2006, 04:06 PM

Long range shooting, is never easy, because your bullet drops so much, and the wind becomes a major factor, in where your bullet will strike. You need to sight in about 1.5" high at 100 yards, that way you will be dead on at 300, or something like that. I suggest you look up Sectional Density, it will really help you to understand, the physics of bullets, and how they react to certain mediums.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:17 PM

Hmm, so instead, sight it in so its high at close range? I figured if I sighted it in at 100 dead-on, I would just raise it a couple inches or so when its farther out... Although, it seems more sensible to have it dead on at 300 instead of 100. Because if your at a 100, you have a better chance of hitting the vitals even if your off a bit than you would be at 300, right?

So really, then I would just need to sight it in at 300 dead-on. From there shoot at 100 yards and see the difference in the location of the hole. And then calculate how much it drops per yard. Which then, I could figure out how much I need to lower or raise it a certain yardage. Haha, now I will have to just buy a Leupold rangefinder so it compensates for the arc. Right? Haha, so much for talking about my rifle now... Just the other day I bought myself a laser sighting kit. Wonder how useful its going to be to me later on...
Old 12-24-2006, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: HeX0rz

Hmm, so instead, sight it in so its high at close range? I figured if I sighted it in at 100 dead-on, I would just raise it a couple inches or so when its farther out... Although, it seems more sensible to have it dead on at 300 instead of 100. Because if your at a 100, you have a better chance of hitting the vitals even if your off a bit than you would be at 300, right?

So really, then I would just need to sight it in at 300 dead-on. From there shoot at 100 yards and see the difference in the location of the hole. And then calculate how much it drops per yard. Which then, I could figure out how much I need to lower or raise it a certain yardage. Haha, now I will have to just buy a Leupold rangefinder so it compensates for the arc. Right? Haha, so much for talking about my rifle now... Just the other day I bought myself a laser sighting kit. Wonder how useful its going to be to me later on...
Hex, you got ir right on the money.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:42 PM

ORIGINAL: HeX0rz

You got it.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:09 PM

HeX0rz, I'm sending you a pm so I can share what little hear-say knowledge I have without taking the thread in a different direction.