Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me to decide 7mm or 300wm...

Old 12-24-2006, 04:42 AM

Default RE: Help me to decide 7mm or 300wm...

ORIGINAL: thebillman

I've killed more Deer with my 06 than I can remember. I'm at the point in my life where I'm financialy able to experience more exotic hunting trips. Myhunting buddies and I are planning a few trips in the upcoming years. I plan to hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Moose and maybe large Canadian Whitetail. Which caliber will accomplish the deed ? What do you reccomend , why ? Your responses are greatly appreciated.
I would stay with your '06.
You are familiar with it. #1
It gets lonely sometimes. All those scratches bring back memories.
Thank your old friend with "High Class Glass"

If I was going to step up beyond the '06 case I would want at least a.338 Win Mag.

Old 12-25-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

If you want a bigger rifle caliber then what you have now, then get a 375 and call it a day. There isn't enough on game (not on paper) difference between a 30/06 and a 300WindBag or 338 WindBag to make it worth the money.

If I were you, I'd buy some good, bonded, or copper solid bullets for that '06, and use the change from that rifle/scope you didn't buy to go shoot a whopperelkin New Mexico.
The .338 Win Mag, is a lot better at breaking down larger game, like bears, and moose, than the 30-06, there isn't that much difference between the .338 Win Mag, and .375 H&H, except that the .338 will shoot a heck of a lot flatter. The .300 Win Mag, will also be more effective on game than the 30-06. I'm assuming most people that argue in favor of the 30-06, in the face of the .300 or .338 Win Mag, don't even own a .300 or .338 Win Mag.
I own all five ('06, 300WM, 7Mag, 338WM and a 375). If you want to split hairs, I also have a 300 WSM, and a 330 Dakota (which I just re-aquired, luckily).

And your arguement that there isn't much difference between a 338 and a 375 is almost as absurd as that stainless steel barrel you saw shining a mile away as you walked down aWMA road during hunting season.

"Breaking down game"??? What the heck is that? The only sort of "break downs" I know about are bluegrass songs and Dodge transmissions. If you use a properly constructed bullet from a sufficient caliber, you won't ever have to break down game, unless of course you shoot them in the can. But if you can't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle, you ought not be afield any how. Just my .02.

"More effective on game"???{300WM v. 30'06} Not hardly. Depends on if you measure effectiveness in pounds of blood soaked vension I guess. Sure, it will shoot flatter, but, as I have learned four times, you will prepare for a 400 yard shot at an elk, only to shoot one in timber inside of 75 yards.

I'm out on this one before it gets too fired up. I'm duck hunting in the morning. I'll leave it to the live in expert who spends all season online to field the arguements.
Swamp, I filled my friggin tags back in November, I see some of you "hunters" are still out to field trying to get the big one. BTW, I wasn't trying to start anything with you, I was just stating what I have seen in the past, so your sarcastic "expert" remark, reminds me of a 4th grade girl, who rolls her eyes at the teacher. I didn't attack you, buddy, so lay off.
yeah...this hunter is still out trying to fill his tags...sure...because ducks have tags buddy....you really know your stuff alright. I digress in the name of sanity. Have a Merry Christmas.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:31 PM

If you want a bigger rifle caliber then what you have now, then get a 375 and call it a day. There isn't enough on game (not on paper) difference between a 30/06 and a 300WindBag or 338 WindBag to make it worth the money.

If I were you, I'd buy some good, bonded, or copper solid bullets for that '06, and use the change from that rifle/scope you didn't buy to go shoot a whopperelkin New Mexico.
The .338 Win Mag, is a lot better at breaking down larger game, like bears, and moose, than the 30-06, there isn't that much difference between the .338 Win Mag, and .375 H&H, except that the .338 will shoot a heck of a lot flatter. The .300 Win Mag, will also be more effective on game than the 30-06. I'm assuming most people that argue in favor of the 30-06, in the face of the .300 or .338 Win Mag, don't even own a .300 or .338 Win Mag.
I own all five ('06, 300WM, 7Mag, 338WM and a 375). If you want to split hairs, I also have a 300 WSM, and a 330 Dakota (which I just re-aquired, luckily).

And your arguement that there isn't much difference between a 338 and a 375 is almost as absurd as that stainless steel barrel you saw shining a mile away as you walked down aWMA road during hunting season.

"Breaking down game"??? What the heck is that? The only sort of "break downs" I know about are bluegrass songs and Dodge transmissions. If you use a properly constructed bullet from a sufficient caliber, you won't ever have to break down game, unless of course you shoot them in the can. But if you can't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle, you ought not be afield any how. Just my .02.

"More effective on game"???{300WM v. 30'06} Not hardly. Depends on if you measure effectiveness in pounds of blood soaked vension I guess. Sure, it will shoot flatter, but, as I have learned four times, you will prepare for a 400 yard shot at an elk, only to shoot one in timber inside of 75 yards.

I'm out on this one before it gets too fired up. I'm duck hunting in the morning. I'll leave it to the live in expert who spends all season online to field the arguements.
Swamp, I filled my friggin tags back in November, I see some of you "hunters" are still out to field trying to get the big one. BTW, I wasn't trying to start anything with you, I was just stating what I have seen in the past, so your sarcastic "expert" remark, reminds me of a 4th grade girl, who rolls her eyes at the teacher. I didn't attack you, buddy, so lay off.
yeah...this hunter is still out trying to fill his tags...sure...because ducks have tags buddy....you really know your stuff alright. I digress in the name of sanity. Have a Merry Christmas.
Again, I wasn't refering to you or your precious ducks, I was refering to some of the peoplr on this forum who have made a mockery of me, and yet, they can't even kill a deer themselves. Way to beat a dead horse.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Again, I wasn't refering to you or your precious ducks, I was refering to some of the peoplr on this forum who have made a mockery of me, and yet, they can't even kill a deer themselves. Way to beat a dead horse.
Or your precious ducks...bear in mind what is a big part of what keeps the Arkansas economy afloat....hey, I glady spend money in your state every year.

And take my word for it, my tags aren't filled (considering I was given 40), but every freezer that I have access to is. I stopped at 16 this year. Just one of those things I suppose. Reckon I'm just a "4th grade girl who rolls her eyes at the teacher". Don't call names and then act like you aren't trying to pick fights.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:47 PM

Edit.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:49 PM

Ya know, Swamp, I don't feel like draggin this on any longer, I just get angry when some of my favorite cartridges get picked on. I apologzie, and hopefully we can end this peacefully.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya know, Swamp, I don't feel like draggin this on any longer, I just get angry when some of my favorite cartridges get picked on. I apologzie, and hopefully we can end this peacefully.
Thats why I said I digress....and Merry Christmas. I wasn't being smart about it. I meant it.

As mydrunk and disorderly paw-pawsaid at the dinner table tonight when my cousin declined to offer the blessing..."Show a little compassion....its Christmas for Christ f****** sakes!"

And everyone said Amen after a good side splitting laugh.

Its all good.
Old 12-25-2006, 07:54 PM

Thank you, I don't know what has gotten into me, lately, I have been a dick to everybody. Once again, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.
Old 12-25-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've owned a 30-06 a 300 Win Mag and a 7mm Rem Mag. The only one I still have that I shoot is the 7mm Mag. It shoots flat and it hits with authority and the recoil is very manageable. I do still have a 30-06 that I won (Remington 700 Dale Earnhardt Jr) that I am debating what to do with.

My vote goes to the 7mag. I am currently working up a load with 120gr Barnes TSX for my deer and antelope round for next fall. Should be a far reacher when I get 'er dialed in!
Old 12-25-2006, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you, I don't know what has gotten into me, lately, I have been a dick to everybody. Once again, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.
Its christmas....everyone is an a-hole on christmas. Its the most stressful time of the year. Just go stand in the returns line tomorrow at 8am at your local wal-mart if you want to see a true display of "Christmas Cheer" :-D HA! I'm glad I'm hunting tmw and don't have to fool with all that. But I might go and people watch anyway!

Quick Reply: Help me to decide 7mm or 300wm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.