Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Help me to decide 7mm or 300wm...

Old 12-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help me to decide 7mm or 300wm...

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

If you want a bigger rifle caliber then what you have now, then get a 375 and call it a day. There isn't enough on game (not on paper) difference between a 30/06 and a 300WindBag or 338 WindBag to make it worth the money.

If I were you, I'd buy some good, bonded, or copper solid bullets for that '06, and use the change from that rifle/scope you didn't buy to go shoot a whopperelkin New Mexico.
The .338 Win Mag, is a lot better at breaking down larger game, like bears, and moose, than the 30-06, there isn't that much difference between the .338 Win Mag, and .375 H&H, except that the .338 will shoot a heck of a lot flatter. The .300 Win Mag, will also be more effective on game than the 30-06. I'm assuming most people that argue in favor of the 30-06, in the face of the .300 or .338 Win Mag, don't even own a .300 or .338 Win Mag.
I own all five ('06, 300WM, 7Mag, 338WM and a 375). If you want to split hairs, I also have a 300 WSM, and a 330 Dakota (which I just re-aquired, luckily).

And your arguement that there isn't much difference between a 338 and a 375 is almost as absurd as that stainless steel barrel you saw shining a mile away as you walked down aWMA road during hunting season.

"Breaking down game"??? What the heck is that? The only sort of "break downs" I know about are bluegrass songs and Dodge transmissions. If you use a properly constructed bullet from a sufficient caliber, you won't ever have to break down game, unless of course you shoot them in the can. But if you can't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle, you ought not be afield any how. Just my .02.

"More effective on game"???{300WM v. 30'06} Not hardly. Depends on if you measure effectiveness in pounds of blood soaked vension I guess. Sure, it will shoot flatter, but, as I have learned four times, you will prepare for a 400 yard shot at an elk, only to shoot one in timber inside of 75 yards.

I'm out on this one before it gets too fired up. I'm duck hunting in the morning. I'll leave it to the live in expert who spends all season online to field the arguements.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:22 PM

I just got a 325 WSM for an upcoming moose hunt and it shoots great. I havnt took it out to see what it dose to deer sized game but the recoil is managable. Im 5'9" and 150 lbs. and enjoy shooting it. The only problem is finding ammo since it is such a new caliber there is very limited types of ammo for it.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I am sure he has all those rifles too. He also has a ruger #1 .458 .375., and .416 rigby. Or maybe he has the calibur scratched in the stock of a .22lr!!!! Every rifle someone ask about he has or has had --- go figure. Yeah I am dogging you, your like a tick I cant reach.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

Oh I am sure he has all those rifles too. He also has a ruger #1 .458 .375., and .416 rigby. Or maybe he has the calibur scratched in the stock of a .22lr!!!! Every rifle someone ask about he has or has had --- go figure. Yeah I am dogging you, your like a tick I cant reach.
Actually, I have never owned, or claimed to own a .416 Rigby, nor do i want to. You are a backwoods redneck, who is obviously jealous of me, I thought you owned a 50 BMG, and all that rubbish? Face it, you are just a stuck up inbreed who needs to get a life. I am fortunate to have owned quite a few rifles in my life, but, if you will notice, I don't go onto every gun thread and claim to own that gun, you, sir, can either leave me alone, or face the consequences, of me reporting you for harrassment.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Chantecler111

If you want a bigger rifle caliber then what you have now, then get a 375 and call it a day. There isn't enough on game (not on paper) difference between a 30/06 and a 300WindBag or 338 WindBag to make it worth the money.

If I were you, I'd buy some good, bonded, or copper solid bullets for that '06, and use the change from that rifle/scope you didn't buy to go shoot a whopperelkin New Mexico.
The .338 Win Mag, is a lot better at breaking down larger game, like bears, and moose, than the 30-06, there isn't that much difference between the .338 Win Mag, and .375 H&H, except that the .338 will shoot a heck of a lot flatter. The .300 Win Mag, will also be more effective on game than the 30-06. I'm assuming most people that argue in favor of the 30-06, in the face of the .300 or .338 Win Mag, don't even own a .300 or .338 Win Mag.
I own all five ('06, 300WM, 7Mag, 338WM and a 375). If you want to split hairs, I also have a 300 WSM, and a 330 Dakota (which I just re-aquired, luckily).

And your arguement that there isn't much difference between a 338 and a 375 is almost as absurd as that stainless steel barrel you saw shining a mile away as you walked down aWMA road during hunting season.

"Breaking down game"??? What the heck is that? The only sort of "break downs" I know about are bluegrass songs and Dodge transmissions. If you use a properly constructed bullet from a sufficient caliber, you won't ever have to break down game, unless of course you shoot them in the can. But if you can't hit a bull in the arse with a bass fiddle, you ought not be afield any how. Just my .02.

"More effective on game"???{300WM v. 30'06} Not hardly. Depends on if you measure effectiveness in pounds of blood soaked vension I guess. Sure, it will shoot flatter, but, as I have learned four times, you will prepare for a 400 yard shot at an elk, only to shoot one in timber inside of 75 yards.

I'm out on this one before it gets too fired up. I'm duck hunting in the morning. I'll leave it to the live in expert who spends all season online to field the arguements.
Swamp, I filled my friggin tags back in November, I see some of you "hunters" are still out to field trying to get the big one. BTW, I wasn't trying to start anything with you, I was just stating what I have seen in the past, so your sarcastic "expert" remark, reminds me of a 4th grade girl, who rolls her eyes at the teacher. I didn't attack you, buddy, so lay off.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER
Or maybe he has the calibur scratched in the stock of a .22lr!!!!
Way to take a comment, I made out to be a joke, and use it against me, you must have the intelligence of a 7 year old. DAN, we wouldn't even be at this point, if you hadn't come into everythreadI posted on and said, "Man, he must be old cuz' he has a lot of experience", or the even dumber, "He must make a lot of money, to own all them there guns", Dan, I work at a shooting range, I get to see a lot of rifles, and shoot even more, and a good deal on a rare or expensive gun, isn't that hard to come by, I have no idea what is wrong with you, ignorance,I guess, I haven't been mean to anybody on this forum, I have tried to help everybody, the best I can, what is wrong with that? Why should it matter how long I stay on the computer? It doesn't, when you have been made a fool of, you look for anything to throw at your opponent, its just like boxing, when you are beat, you go for the low blow. LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!![:@]
Old 12-23-2006, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

how about a different way of thinking???? Ill throw this into the mix. I do currently own most of the rifles mentioned in this thread so far, and when I am looking for a new rifle I take a different perspective now that I have a nice collection. You say you have a 30-06? I am assuming its a bolt action? If so, how about looking into a 7600 pump say in 35 Whelen? Or how about a Browning BAR in 338 Win mag? Theres also single shots, Encore, Ruger #1 etc. The calibers for those guns are endless too! Then there are lever actions, how about a Marlin in 45-70 or 444. If you want something different than you trusty 06, change the type of gun instead of just getting another bolt action. Just my .02 worth.
Old 12-23-2006, 10:03 PM

Thanks for the info. and opinions. My recent Caribou trip got me thinking about the new gun. My hunting buddy and I were the only ones using the good ole .06 The other 10 hunters in camp were using 270wsm,257Weatherby mag, 7mmstw, 300WM, 7mm mag, 7mm wsm and others I can't recall and hadn't heard of. The conversation alwayscentered around which caliber hit the hardest and had the flattest trajectory. Some of the fellas in camp hadhunted Elk, Antelope and the like out west. The general consensus was that the .06 was marginal on getting the job done. I certainly had no trouble dropping Caribou with the .06 I don't want to show up for the hunt of a lifetime andbe under "gunned" (if that's a word).
Old 12-23-2006, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: thebillman

Thanks for the info. and opinions. My recent Caribou trip got me thinking about the new gun. My hunting buddy and I were the only ones using the good ole .06 The other 10 hunters in camp were using 270wsm,257Weatherby mag, 7mmstw, 300WM, 7mm mag, 7mm wsm and others I can't recall and hadn't heard of. The conversation alwayscentered around which caliber hit the hardest and had the flattest trajectory. Some of the fellas in camp hadhunted Elk, Antelope and the like out west. The general consensus was that the .06 was marginal on getting the job done. I certainly had no trouble dropping Caribou with the .06 I don't want to show up for the hunt of a lifetime andbe under "gunned" (if that's a word).
Unless the " hunt of a lifetime" you are talking about is for dangerous game like Grizzly then you will not be under gunned and anybody who considers a .30-06 as marginal hasn't used one much. Hey I don't even own an 06 right now but have owned a few and they always did what they were supposed to. The current magnum or nothing trend is a marketing depeartments victory. I admit I use a 7mm rem mag and a .350 rem mag mostly these days but I have moved around so much these last years that who knows my next rifle could also be a .30-06 and I would not hesitate to hunt anything with it.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:06 AM

Just go for the 700 nitro express.Might wanna by some shock absorbers and make a cool looking recoil pad out of them. I am sure this will make you a better hunter,A one shot kill, You do not want to take another shot after you missed with the first one. This will make you concentrate hitting your target the first time.

Quick Reply: Help me to decide 7mm or 300wm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.