Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What is lapping / fire lapping a barrel ?

Old 11-25-2002, 06:31 PM

Default What is lapping / fire lapping a barrel ?

What is fire lapping a barrel ?
Old 11-25-2002, 09:14 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: What is lapping / fire lapping a barrel ?

Something I highly suggest not doing. I firelapped my 300RUM with Tubbs final finish bullets and now all my rifling is wrecked. Before it was rough but the rifling was well defined with sharp edges. Now its rounded off. I was getting .5" groups and after I tried 4 different powders, 2 different bullets, and 2 different primers and best I could do is 1.5" groups. So I had the barrel replaced with a kreiger. Now it can't do wrong.

What I suggest instead of firelapping is using JB's and hand lapping with that stuff. Around 300 strokes on the thoat should do the trick. If you have the means use a Stoney point AOL gauge with the same bullet and measure how much you are pushing the throat up after the first few dozen or so pass's. But you shouldn't see any measureable distances.

Old 11-25-2002, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

If you must, then by all means hand lap your barrel.

Good Dogwork and Good Hunting
Old 11-25-2002, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry you said you were getting .5" groups before you started lapping ,what were you trying to accomplish,confused?
Old 11-26-2002, 08:29 AM

So you guys are saying dont do it huh ??? If its so bad WHY does anyone do it ???
Is it hard to hand lap ?
Old 11-26-2002, 11:11 AM
bigcountry

Halcon, I shoot alot like alot of people on this board since it is a guns page. And with this 300RUM, it would get coppered up very quickly, like 8 rounds. Less with Barnes. So for consistent shooting, you had to clean at the range. So load development was very difficult. All that cleaning also opens you up for doing throat damage and crown damage. Not that it can't be done if done right, but sooner or later, you going hurt the crown cleaning twice at the range and when you get home doing all that scrubbing. So what I was trying to accomplish is what these bullets advertise and that is cut down on fouling and smooth the bore. Most don't advertise accuracy improvements really. But now with a barrel built like one should be from the beginning, like my new kreiger, I can shoot alot, plus get excellent accuracy. Hope your not confused still.

Old 11-26-2002, 02:24 PM
Typical Buck

I ruined two gun barrels with that crap !!! Don't do it ! I will not even use the JB stuff. Any abraisive[sp] in the barrel will take out some of you rifleing and throat of the chamber.
I some time think the barrel makers put this stuff out.

Mounting Man/in PA.
Old 11-26-2002, 08:16 PM
bigcountry

Know what ya mean Mountingman. With my new kreiger, I won't touch it with a brush and only clean with wipeout. I know these barrels are not that fragile, but after paying almost $450 for barrel installed with parkerizing, I ain't taking any chances.