Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wood or plastic?

Old 12-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: wood or plastic?

I like blue and synthetic. I don't see the point in SS, since it's usually heavier and more expensive. I clean andkeep a coat of oil on my guns, and I've never had any major problems with rust or other corrosion. Not to mention that the blueing adds a layer of protection to the metal, and it can be touched up or re-applied completely anytime I want to do it.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For show id go with wood, but if you want a gun that you dont mind dropping or scratching id go with the synthetic with a blued barrel, there is also a walnut stock and stainless steel barrel winchester it looks great!
Old 12-29-2006, 11:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

For my rifles I've stayed with the walnut and blued finishes. I like the look of the combination. For my shotguns I've gone for the past 8+ years totally to synthetic stock (not "plastic") and camo (e.g. Advantage Wetlands, MAX-3)factory finishes on both the stocks and barrels. It's so much more useful to have a well camoed shotgun duck/goose hunting than shiny ones like my buddy uses. He actually carries his sometimes out to where we're going to hunt in a case and leaves it in there between shots on sunny days to avoid flarring the birds! That's crazy.

I have nothing against synthetic and/or SS for rifles either. I know they wear very well. It's only a preference. I do have pet peve about people calling synthetic or composite "plastic" though! Synthetics and composites are made so strong these days, for certain applications they actually hold up better and longer than steel or hardwood.