Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

35 Whelen

Old 12-28-2006, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 35 Whelen

ORIGINAL: TerryM

As James B said, it was introduced in the 1920s. I always heard that time passes by quickly, but that's not new.

You really smoked yourself, heck, it's actually quite funny.
ORIGINAL: younggun243

I wonder how you can have experience with that rifle/cartridge combo since its quite new?
As James B said, it was introduced in the 1920s. I always heard that time passes by quickly, but that's not new.

I laugh when I read posts from kids who say they saw "a guy shoot a guide gun at the range once" and then proceeded to pass judgement on its game killing capabilities and compare it to a .300 ultra mag and a .50 BMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either the opinion of just a kid or someone not much brighter.
Actually, Chantelcer 111 works at a shooting range, so I betcha he's able to judge a heck of alot more out of seeing someone shoot it, looking at the target, and generally watching how the gun is fired.

Anyhow, you really do get cocky, I see no reason for you to have shot your mouth off posting like that. With that kind of attitude, I don't suppose you've gotten much good out of life in the social aspect.
That may not be true, but you sure give that kind of impression.

"Either the opinion of just a kid or someone not much brighter."

Hmmmm....... How is a kid automatically stupid? Mozart played for the Emporer of the Austrian Empire when he was 3 or 4! I seriously hope you're not really thinking that that's a real example of what you're trying to say.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:41 PM

I love this forum!!!!! I'm a huge 35 cal fan and quite a bit of experience shooting, hunting and handloading the .358 Win and the .35 Whelen.
I sold my Rem 700 Classic 35 whelen 2 years ago and now regret it ever since. I customized it a bit. Put a synthetic Bell & Carleson stock on it, floated the barrel,had the crown recut to 11 degrees, trigger job done to 3.5 very crisp lbs and a few lapping tweaks to the action. Now, I had a real shooter!!
With my handloads I averaged ( measured w/calipers)1"-1.03" at 100 yds benched with 200 grain and 225 grain pills. 56 grains of 4064 and a 200 grain Rem PSP or Barnes X shot very well and knocked critters down where they stood. Load a 225 grain Sierra Gameking SPBT with 53 gr of H4895 or BL(C)2 at 56.5 grains and you've got a super butt kicker!! I think from shooting both the .358 Win and the .35 Whelen,I seem to find that the 35's love the 225 grain pill best. My friend and I both useour Whelens on deer, black bear and moose and can state through experience that the .35 Whelen is one excllent round. I agree that factory ammo in this caliber leaves much to be desired, but if your a handloader and know how to play at the loadingbench you'll be amazed at what you can make the Whelen do. I'm now looking for another one to buy so I can rebuild what I once had.
Just as a tid bit: the .358 Win handloaded with a 250 grain pill kicks the snot out of hogs!!! Be like Mikey. Try it, you'll like it!!!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder how you can have experience with that rifle/cartridge combo since its quite new?

I laugh when I read posts from kids who say they saw "a guy shoot a guide gun at the range once" and then proceeded to pass judgement on its game killing capabilities and compare it to a .300 ultra mag and a .50 BMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either the opinion of just a kid or someone not much brighter.
Actually, Chantelcer 111 works at a shooting range, so I betcha he's able to judge a heck of alot more out of seeing someone shoot it, looking at the target, and generally watching how the gun is fired.

Anyhow, you really do get cocky, I see no reason for you to have shot your mouth off posting like that. With that kind of attitude, I don't suppose you've gotten much good out of life in the social aspect.
That may not be true, but you sure give that kind of impression.

"Either the opinion of just a kid or someone not much brighter."

Hmmmm....... How is a kid automatically stupid? Mozart played for the Emporer of the Austrian Empire when he was 3 or 4! I seriously hope you're not really thinking that that's a real example of what you're trying to say.
You have just gone ahead and once again proven my point. Read the original question asked and you will see that the poster was asking about the Remington 750 chambered in .35 Whelen which by the way was introduced this year. And secondly if you think that watching somebody shoot a rifle and looking at the hole in the paper target is a good way of accumulating information and then giving advice based on that then you are truly inexperienced and should not offer advice either. You kids should learn by doing things a bit more than just reading marketing brochures. And I get tired of reading all the BS from some "internet experts" who have owned every rifle/cartridge ever discussed but in fact just pick up trash and mow the lawn part time in a gun club.
Old 12-28-2006, 10:29 PM

Yes, I read the question. He asked if anyone had experience with that rifle OR CAILBER!
I stated MY experience with the Whelen. Whats yours??? From the likes of your comment, I surmize that you look down your nose at many of these posts thinking you've got itall over the other guys. Maybe I'm wrong about you, but thats my take on your comment.
I personally have a little over 20 years experiencehunting with rifles,shooting in competition and for self pleasure. I've been reloading for 18 of those 20 years. I think I at least deserve a little more courtesy than just an "Internet Expert" My holes in paper equate to better down range performance and that in turn relates to how that particular round will perform when I do my part with it. Come see my game room and my photo albums and talk with my hunting/shooting comradesand then maybe you're informed enough to pass judgement on my qualifications. Enough said.
To the gent who started this forum, please excuse my rebuttal as it does not pertain to your original question. Theinfo I've shared with you and the other readers is good Whelen material and can be noted as such. If you decide to go with this round, feel free to try my loads and see if they're ok in your gun. As far as hunting goes, take the Whelenin the woods and see for yourself what it can do.
If you're abook reader or interent surfer, you can find commentaries from Col. Craig Boddington, Clay Harvey, Bryce Townsley, just to name a few gunwriters who regard the .35 Whelen as an excellent round. Clay Harvey sold me on both the .35 Whelen and .358 Winchester many years ago when I read his book. I still hunt with the .358 Win and am looking to get my hands on another .35 Whelen. The .35's will not let you down.
Old 12-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

358man,
I hope you don't think my last post was directed at you in any way, it was not. It was in response to younggun243 who was commenting on another previous post from an obviously inexperienced wannabe ( chantecler111 ) where I called him out for passing judgement on the effectiveness of .35 cals entirely from watching a person shoot one on paper. I have owned 2 .358 wins and presently own a .350 win mag. I also have a couple buddies who shoot the Whelen. We all shoot handloads exclusively and hunt deer, bear and moose every year with them. I have also witnessed 6 different caribou get killed with them up to 300 yds. Trust me, I am not in anyway flaming you or the .35 cals. I'm just tired of inexperienced wannabe's giving advice about things they have no experience with who were raised in the magnum craze era who think that anything under 3000 fps is inadequate to hunt with.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

........I'm just tired of inexperienced wannabe's giving advice about things they have no experience with who were raised in the magnum craze era who think that anything under 3000 fps is inadequate to hunt with.
3000 fps is inadequate to hunt with?

He never said that, he said he liked the performance of the .338 Win. Mag. better, and that that was his preference, he never said anything was wrong with the Whelen, he just said he wasn't impressed with it.

People are different, you've just gotta' get used to it.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:35 AM

Ellwood epps also built a rifle for my great grandfather except the rifle was a 30-30 built on a ross 1905 action, nice rifle, havent hunted with it yet but i plan on it someday.