Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Can you ship a pistol to someone?

Old 12-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Can you ship a pistol to someone?

I'm trying to sell my pistol and i was wanting to know if you could ship it?
Old 12-16-2006, 11:20 PM

Default RE: Can you ship a pistol to someone?

The following information is off the ATF Website

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b1

(B7) May a nonlicensee ship a firearm through the U.S. Postal Service?[Back]

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another State. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State. The Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms. Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.
[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(3), 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A)]

J
Old 12-16-2006, 11:21 PM

What kind of pistol is it and what state are you in?

J
Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 PM

I'm not trying to be troublesome, but, if you are wanting to sell your pistol that bad, you should be able to find a buyer in your area. Dealing guns online is a pain in the neck.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

i'm in Texas and i'm shipping a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:19 AM

Unless it's already sold, I would try to sell in your area first. As Chantecler111 stated, there should be buyers in your area, especially for such a popular pistol.

J
Old 12-17-2006, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

You can ship handguns across state linesvia UPS to a licensed dealer (must have an FFL) who will then complete the transfer by having the buyer complete the required paperwork (state & federal transfer forms, background check). I've bought several pistols and rifles online in this way.

Like the others recommended, try selling it in your state first. I don't know exactly how Texas' handgun laws are written, but generally, private sales between individuals are allowed without any third party involvement. Checkthe State Code and/or speak with an FFL to get the info.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 AM

In Texas you may private sell and ship it in state to an individual. Online you can sell it also and ship it to another state using an FFL Dealer as the reciever. Either way, unless you ship from an FFL holder who can use USPS, you are stuck using FedEx or UPS Overnight services for handguns. Normally runs roughly $40-$55 for me depending where exactly I ship to. Face to Face sales are great if close by, if over 150 miles travel one way for you the seller, gas prices and personal time start to balance out shipping costs.