Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

wd-40

Old 12-15-2006, 03:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: wd-40

I've used WD-40 on about everything except my guns. Too light, attracts too much dirt and grime. I use Break Free CLP on most of my semi-auto riflesand RemOil on the bolt actions.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was told not to use it because of all of the reason stated so far, and also because it can smolder in the mechanisms. I know that this sounds rediculous and I pretty much doubt that now, but at 12 yrs old it sounded good enough lol. Anyways, I have used it in a pinch to keep my guns from rusting when I was young and broke and I found out that the crap makes a mess. Dust, lint, dirt and grime tend to find their way into anyplace that you squirt it into. It did keep the gun from rustin for a season though......
Old 12-15-2006, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

is it safe to use wd-40 as gun oil?
and if not, why?
I find the same things others are saying about it gumming up and collecting dust, not to mention that any rubber seals will eventually dry and crack over a shorter period of time. This makes a shorter life for the seals. So myself I would not use it at all.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used it for 30 years on all my guns with no prob... I've also used CRC and Rem oil...

I think if you clean your guns often you don't have to worry...

As far as breakfree I wouldnt use that crap
Old 12-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

WD-40 IS A WATER DIPLACEMENT. That is how it got its name water displacement - formula number 40. It really offers little lube value. I cant see what it would hurt but I think there is alot better choices.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Spike

I'd echo the gumming factor comments.
I several rifles that get little use and when doing a annual clean up I found this gold colored thick film inside the bolts .It is dificult to clean at that stage and even wd-40 which caused it wouldnt clean it.

I use wd 40 on exterior metal surfaces when handling guns . It does a fine job of cleaning up finger prints just avoid using it as a lubricant .
Old 12-16-2006, 01:02 AM

WD-40 is Water Displacement 40th attempt which is how many times it took the inventer to come up with a positive water displacer...

I would not use it for a gun oil, except when I know I will encounter a mass amount of water as in canoeing with the trusty 870.
I always fully clean my weapon asap afterwards.
When used properly WD-40 is unrivaled.

If you absolutly have no other choice it is better than nothing, but be sure to strip clean to prevent gumming.

Rem Oil is the best lubricant for everything in myopinion.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rem Oil for my guns. WD 40 for cracked distributor caps and old plug wires on damp, rainy days.........
Old 12-16-2006, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

Rem Oil for my guns. WD 40 for cracked distributor caps and old plug wires on damp, rainy days.........
10-4, good buddy!