Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil Pads Suggestions?

Old 12-14-2006, 08:03 PM

Default Recoil Pads Suggestions?

Evening folks!

Been lurking a bit, joined and now I'm going to bug ya'll with a question or 6 every now and again. Been out of the loop for a bit, so can anyone suggest a good recoil pad and WHERE to find it on the net? Seems there is quite a few names I don't know nowadays, and I can't really afford the wild experiment ride.
In case anyone wants to know or if it helps, I'll be shooting a Ruger M77 MkII stainless in .30-06. I used to be able to handle the round lovely, but my shoulder was damaged a few yrs ago and the recoil gets down right painful after just a few shots now. Looking to get the felt recoil low enough I can fool my mind's percieved recoil into thinking hardy .243'ish or fairly close abouts. I want to help a co-worker rid himself of his pests, as he calls them, on his ranch. I reckon one man's delicious deer and hogs is another's pests? [&:]
Old 12-14-2006, 08:04 PM

Default RE: Recoil Pads Suggestions?

Limbsaver makes excellent recoil pads.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 PM

I used to use their stuff on all my hunting bows, pretty good then on rifle products?

Any gimmick products I should avoid?
Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 PM

Oh yeah, Limbsaver recoil pads work great on rifles. And there really isn't too much to avoid.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:11 PM

Thanx, do appreciate the fast responses and good info. Hopefully I can run one down, sort of locally, may end up in Ft Worth to find one in stock knowing my luck. (90 mile 1 way trip)
I reckon it'll run me $35 or so, small investment vs cost of pain killers..
Old 12-14-2006, 08:12 PM

If you have had surgery, or just have a bummed shoulder, a good recoil padis very beneficial.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:39 PM

It was pretty bad, needed sleeping pills for night, milder stuff for day.

Have you or anyone else out there compared the Pachmayr Decelerator to the Limbsaver unit? Seems both are about the same cost and both are available in my stock config.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Both work well. I think the Pachmeyer looks better though. Academy stores usually carry the Limbsavers.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:46 PM

Like kelbro said, they both work well, it just depends on what you want.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Typical Buck

Although the Simms, Pachmayr, Kick Eze etc. pads will reduce "felt " recoil, there isnt one made that going to take the recoil of an 06 down to 243 ish recoil.
One possible cure for you would be to have a muzzle brake installed on your rifle. I guarantee you it will reduce the recoil of the 06 down to a 243 level. If you do go with a brake make absolutely sure you wear hearing protection as it will increase the sound slightly.
It goes without saying that I am a believer that hearing protection and it should be worn when shooting a 22 and up.

But then some here will tell you that if you need a brake on your rifle you need to switch to a lesser cartridge.

If your stock is plastic you might be able to add some lead shot into the butt and that will reduce "felt" recoil but will alter the balance of the rifle.

Just some thoughts.......

Quick Reply: Recoil Pads Suggestions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.