Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

Old 12-15-2006, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

eldeguello - That buck is still alive this year after rifle season in through, and I took that picture last year before rifle season opened. I've got faith that next year he will be a dandy if he makes it thru another winter. Really made me wonder if I was sane for passing on him this year as he was upper 150s.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

These type situations are where the Remington Model 7 in either 7mm-08 or .308 really shine, equipped with a Leupold 2x7x33 and you are ready to go...
Old 12-15-2006, 11:36 AM

Thanks everyone for all of the input and ideas. I am not sure why I have turned this decision into such a dilemma. I used to buy a kayak use it the next day and not like it and sell it to a buddy that afternoon. Always sadly at a considerable loss. My wife says just pick one buy it and if I don't like it, get the other. I guess that I maybe got tired of the "ouch factor" when re-selling something. Although guns at least hold their value much better than a kayak. The semi automatics are just not the type of gun that I prefer for my own personal use. I really like knowing that I basically have one shot only and so I need to make it count. When my Dad first taught to hunt ducks it was with a single shot shotgun, he wouldn't let me use any of the repeaters until I had proved to him that I was concentrating. He always frowned on the "sky busting" shooting.

The great thing with the Encore is the versatility with the different caliber choices. Although they are really quite spendy, when compared to one of the Tikka's. Considering that you get the entire rifle for the price.

I have pretty much narrowed it down now to the Standard Encore over the Pro Hunter and the Tikka probably in a .308 or 30-06 caliber.

Rammer, My Dad had one of those 45-70 Government rifles, that is a very impressive bullet. I never used the gun, but the cartridge sure did look intimidating.My buddy shoots an Encore and said that is one of the barrels that he would like to try. Also thanks for all of the help Rammer, very helpful.

Thanks again,
Mike
Old 12-15-2006, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

No problem. Glad I could help.

308 is a good choice as well. I'm a big fan of that cartridge. I will have a new gun chambered for it someday soon....