Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

Old 12-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

I would personally reccomend against using apeture sights on a "brush gun". I would rather have a fixed power scope on it or a smaller variable. It is alot easier to weave a bullet thru the thick stuff if you can see it all thru some magnification.

Here is my brushy area.

Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 AM

Sorry about the term"Brush gun"DM, that might be a term that my Dad used always when we hunted. I guess when he used the term I just knew what he was saying. He just meant a gun that could maneuver through the tight undergrowth that we get up here. Along with a bullet that had enough consistency too not be deflected too severely from hitting some of the small branches that it may hit on it's path. That might possibly be a Minnesota coined term

Mike
Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

my marlin 30-30 will always be called my brush gun...brush gun brush gun brush gun....
Old 12-14-2006, 10:40 AM

Howdy Rammer,
Our brush up here is of a different type of brush than in the picture. Very nice deer by the way! We get the very thick poplar type woods here with pretty heavy undergrowth, fromlogging.I have tried using a scope in the past in the woods here and I preferred the regular iron sights. I am going to experiment with an aperture sight on my new muzzle loader for next years season. I have been posting on the Muzzle-loader forums and the consensus was that the apertureshould work pretty decentin MN. They said the small aperture would be great while on stand and then switching out to a larger aperture for stalking/dusk situations. If I don't think it will work, then I will probably just stick with the iron sights. I sure can see where the scope would be great down there in SD though, you definitely have the light advantage.

Mike
Old 12-14-2006, 11:11 AM

HD Road King, you may want to give thought to a .30-.30 if you regularly hunt heavy cover, but if you are set on a .270/.280 then go ahead and get it as it is a good little caliber.
Rebel hog, your first pict is not brush, it is a toxic waste dump.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Red Lion

Rebel hog, your first pict is not brush, it is a toxic waste dump.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

HD Road King - I was just being smart when I posted up my "brush" picture. Hehehe. We don't have any trees here (only trees are where there used to be an old homestead).

Let me know how you like the apeture sight. I was thinking of doing something like that on my Encore someday if I didn't like the way my iron sights shot this year (so far I'm loving the sights so far).

BTW - out of the two choices you posted, I'd go with the ol 270 unless you pack your own loads. I've only seen a handful of boxes of 280 ammo around here the last few years.

Old 12-14-2006, 11:58 AM

Rammer,
I could see where the brush that you pictured would be very thick stuff though if it was above eye level. Used to like getting in that type of stuff for rabbits and grouse!

How well are you liking that Encore, I had a Pro Hunter on lay-away and then for some reason, opted for the Knight Disc Extreme Master Hunter .50 caliber. Possible brain fart,[:-]time will tell on that one. The other day we were in the shop where I have my Knight on lay-away and they still had my Pro Hunter hanging there, last one in stock. My wife said why don't I just drop a couple hundred down on that one also and lay it away. She is a keeper for a wife, I like her way of thinking.
I was thinking of possibly going with the .270 barrel for it and having my bases covered, for which ever type of hunting I wanted to do. Have you noticed any free play in the break breech design on the Encore? That was my biggest concern with the hinging barrel design. I have always really been a bolt action fan, just personal preference. I had kind of narrowed it down to the Encore or the Tikka models. The thing with the Tikka will be the stuck with one caliber, but a fixed barrel bolt action The Encore would give me the option of just purchasing a different barrel, although they are a little spendy these days. I really like the idea of one shot only with either gun, really makes you need to go for the best chance. This is where my dilema developed on which gun to grab, your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Whew, sorry about the book!
Mike

Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

HD

I am really enjoying my Encore. It will shoot 3 shots into 1-1.5" with open sights at 100 yards with 100gr of Triple Se7en pellets, Harvester Crushed Rib Sabots, and a 240gr Hornady XTP. I really want to get a rifle barrel for it, and I started a new thread today on what to get.

I also have a Tikka T3 Stainless in 243. It is a very very sweet shooting gun. Everyone that picks it up and shoots it wants to take it home with them. The triggers are sweet from the factory, very smooth bolt, nice bolt throw, and I really like the detachable mags even though they are made from Polymer. I have given mine a good butt kicking now for three years and I probably have close to 2,000rds put thru it. I have not cleaned the barrel since the first cleaning, and it will consistently put 3 shots under 1" and even tighter if you really want to try.

I'd thought about buying a 223 barrel for my Encore for varmints, then decided I didn't want to limit myself to one shot while calling coyotes. One shot for deer hunting is fine, have yet to find a deer that needs more than one shot thru the boiler room
Old 12-14-2006, 02:19 PM

Hey thanks there Rammer,

So if you were to pick between your Enco re with the optional barrel choices or just sticking with the Tikka. Which one would be the one that you would pick between?

In your opinion is the Pro Hunter improved enough to make it worth choosing over the standard Encore? The reason that I am asking this is the local shop here in town still has a few of the Encores. They are priced in the $500.00 range, which makes it very tempting. I have heard that the new stock design was agreat improvement along with their new ram-rod. Although I am seeing mixed reviews on the new breech plug design, kind of a love it or leave it, on that one.

I live only 60 miles from Alexandria, MN and they have a great place their that really specialize in the aftermarket barrels for the Encores. I like the pricing also on the standard Encore barrels they are substantially lower in price which is a plus.

Mike

Quick Reply: MN hunters, .270 or .280 OK for brushy woods for deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.