Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

pellet guns

Old 12-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default pellet guns

i have a problem with a few pests around the house and i need to take them out. but, i need to use a pellet gun. does anyone have any experience with some higher end pellet guns? I dont want to spend a ton of money but i want something that is accurate and shoots at least 1000 fps. Also, i would like it to be pretty quiet
Old 12-13-2006, 05:30 PM

Default RE: pellet guns

You should look into a Gamo Hunter.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

All of the better pellet rifles that I've seen were far from quiet. My little Winny 1906 pump with sub-sonics is quieter.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:07 PM

How big are the pests? And how much are you able to spend?

I picked up a Beeman P3 pistol that shoots pellets through its rifled barrel with out the need to worry about replacing CO2 (it's a pump). It shoots over 400fps with great POA accuracy past 15 yards. I love practicing with this pistol in my back yard in the city and have dropped adult rabbits on the spot with single shots.

I got lucky and stumbled across it at a pawn shop for less than $60. It retailed for $200, but you should be able to find it for less than $100.

Check out the Beeman website for more info on their quality guns.

http://www.beeman.com/index.htm

J

Old 12-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just use A .22 CB, its a low velocity short, but way more power than pellet gun, it has almost a zero report.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:54 AM

I grew up with the pellet rifles and worked my way up into the higher end rifles. I just sold my last one last year it was an RWS Diana 54 side lever .177 with the fixed barrel. I have also owned a really neat Gamo that had some type of pellet magazine that would self feed a pellet while cocking the gun. The poster above that stated they are not quite was correct on that. Probably similar to a .22 short in sound? Check out that gunbroker.com site, I was browsing on there the other day and they have a pellet rifle category where you bid on the guns. Some of the prices are definitely cheaper than when I bought that RWS from a dealer. I think that I can get a Tikka for not to much more. I believe the RWS might come from Germany and the Gamo may have been of Spanish origin.

On another note, how well do you like that Tikka? I have a post asking a question on one of those for in Minnesota in a .270 caliber.

Mike
Old 12-14-2006, 11:32 AM

As a kid I used to kill rabbits with a .20 cal Sheridan Bluestreak (less than $150). It's slow to load because you have to pump it multiple times, but you can also vary the power. I used 3 pumps for indoor shooting, and 8-10 pumps for hunting. My indoor backstop consisted of a box of old JC Penny catalogs and newspapers. This rifle does a good job on rabbits with accurate head shots.

I have also used a fancy (over $300) 1000+ fps .17 cal pellet rifle for critters. I didn't think it dispatched animals as well as the slower, .20 cal Sheridan. I had a hard time putting pigeons down with the .17 cal. The .20 cal was much more effective.

For the money, I think it's hard to beat the old .20 cal Sheridan air rifle.
Old 12-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh ya ! I had several of those 5mm sheridans. They were awsome. If you do decide on a pellet gun I would go with a.22 caliber, they are a little slower than the .17 but kill more efectively. But serious, you should look at the .22 CB shorts and your .22 would have to be able to shoot shorts but those little rounds are super quite.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:59 PM

Howdy Dan, I forgot about those Sheriden's, I also had one of those blue streaks. I was able to take a fed fox out with mine when I was about twelve. I think that it was a .20 caliber, if I remember correctly. They were a great gun, along with the selective power. I did suffer from the problem of never using it unless maximum pumped.

Where you at in AK? We had moved up to Valdez last year, the job prospect was not quite what my wife was thinking it would be. We ended up moving back down to MN[]

I sure do miss the beauty of your State, now we are planning a trip up there on our bike.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

i also like the sheridan blue streak, i have had one for 20+ years 5mm/.200" cal. pellets, deadly on squirrels and rabbits, very accurate also, the down side i crono'd mine once and it seams it only shot around 700fps, may have been 680, but it will flat put little critters down, i alsolike the .22 "cb's" they are extremley quite, unless your niegbors had their windows open they'd never here it

Quick Reply: pellet guns

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.