Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

pellet guns

Old 12-14-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: pellet guns

I know that I am probably going to sound like a tard for saying this, but we used to kill rabbits, cats, birds, mice, etc. with our .177 caliber Crossman pump bb guns. We could use pellets in them too but they where expensive for a kid and you could get 10X more bb's for the same money. Idunno, you hit a cat in the head with a bb moving 350fps and it usually goes down. It might twitch a little but it is usually dead with one more shot. We where accurate with our little bb guns and usually killed what we hit.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got an RWS model 48-B. It's just like the model 54 stated above, but a little less expensive and not as fancy. The 54 has a Monte Carlo stock and has some checkering.They say they shoot 1000+ fps, but they really shoot closer to 860-930, depending on pellets used. I got mine for $250.00 I think. Extremely accurate and very powerful. I killed a good sized possum with it in the back yard. One shot.I also have a .177 Benjamin Franklin, predecessor to the Sheridans I believe. It's a good gun, but loud. I also have a Crosman 2100. It shoots about 700 fps. It's fairly accurate (alot of plastic), but it's only about $50.00-$60.00.

I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. The Gamos are from Spain, but some models are manufactured in Indonesia I believe, and their quality-control is terrible.

I'd say the RWS Diana model 34 is a good bet. Not too expensive, powerful and accurate. It's a barrel-break design and they last for ever. You can find them for less than $150.00 and your grandkids will enjoy it.

Old 12-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for all the help guys. Right now I have a Beeman but it only shoots around 600 fps I think. Maybe if i just sight it in at a longer range i will be more accurate. How far do you think I could kill a squirrel at with a good shot? Also, will those new Gamo pellets (shoot faster or something?) work in any gun?

PM sent to Road King
Old 12-14-2006, 08:49 PM
DM

Just use A .22 CB, its a low velocity short, but way more power than pellet gun, it has almost a zero report.
The problem with this is, the 22 bullets ricochet all over, much worse than a pellet.

I have several pellet rifles, includeing Gammo and RWS... If i could only have one pellet rifle, it would be a RWS 45.... I've chronoedmine at over 900 fps with heavy pellets and over 1,000 fps with light pellets...

Thr CCI CB long or shorts do kill better than pellets, you just have to bemore carefull of ricochets when useing them.

The problem with 22cal pellets compared to 177 cal. is, the 22's are harder to hit with at longer ranges because they drop more...

DM
Old 12-14-2006, 10:38 PM

hey there Tuk101,
I almost forgot about that little gem. I had one of those also, I think it was possibly a model 760. It had a little slide button behind the bolt that would let about 20 BB's in, that was a very fun gun. My Dad had the same idea on the pellets those were only allowed for "big game expeditions"
Man, those were fun days, no T.V games back then we had to find things to do outside.

Thanks for refreshing the memory,
Mike

Old 12-15-2006, 12:12 PM

I own a gamo shadow 1000 and love it. It's an awesome pellet gun, very quiet and accurate.I paid 200 for mine a long time ago but I now see them at Wal Mart for like 120 bucks.I recommend a good scope too. It will help a lot with them. Mine shoots 1000 fps and has a lifetime warranty which is cool. Good luck with the infestation.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HD Road King

hey there Tuk101,
I almost forgot about that little gem. I had one of those also, I think it was possibly a model 760. It had a little slide button behind the bolt that would let about 20 BB's in, that was a very fun gun. My Dad had the same idea on the pellets those were only allowed for "big game expeditions"
Man, those were fun days, no T.V games back then we had to find things to do outside.

Thanks for refreshing the memory,
Mike
Lol, shooting one of those taught me how to be a head hunter lol. If you shot anthing larger than a field mouse in the body it would usually just get p'oed and try to figure out where it came from. With one of those guns one of my uncles (only 5 years older than I) killed a neighbors cow with it. I know, not funny at the time but we where out plinking and he took a pot shot at it from accross the road. Hit it in the head and the thing fell over and started doing the funky chicken. So yes, head shots have a tendency to be able to kill things even if the projectile is only going about 400 fps lol. I was only about 9 or 10 years old when that happened but I remember it like it was yesterday.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:55 PM

Hey Tuk,
I hear you on the head shots being an important trait of that gun. I treed a squirrel once, thought that I had a good kill shot. I ended up clipping him out of the tree. My dog took chase and the big Grey decided the only safe place to seek cover was inside my pants leg. Man! that thing scared the crap out of me. I think I might have invented a new dance step that day trying to shake him out and the entire time my dog was trying to get the squirrel. He was one of the best Squirrel, Chipmunkdogs alive back then. He would wait forthe bus and he knew where we were going asfast as I could get my clothes changed and grab thegun.He never quite understood what was going on when I outgrew that pellet rifle,
dang girl's.Now that I think about it, I should go down and pick a pellet rifle up again some day, nah! I could never duplicate those days, they are better memories that way. They sure made a person develop shot placement back then. I guess that we were practicing the "One Shot, One Kill" theory way back then and didn't even know it. You basically had too, because by the time you got the gun re-pumped the quarry was looong gone!

Nice meeting you,
Mike