Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

30-30

Old 12-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default 30-30

I need some help. I have a 30-06 and I've killed one hog with it at 30 yards. But now, I'm havin trouble with gettin the scope zeroed and getting consistent groups. I just really have no confidence with the gun, so I'm thinking about replacing it. I'd like to get a Marlin 336W in 30-30. My main target is gonna be hogs and coyotes with maybe a mule deer hunt every now and then. I live in California, and the West is reputed to have shots on the longer side. Is the gun suited for my needs? I know the bolt guns in bigger calibers are more preferred, but I'm just not comfortable trying to zero in the scope and what not. Please help me out

Thanks
Tom
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 30-30

While a .30-30 will probably work just fine for you, you're going to be limiting your range.The Marlin is a great gun, but I'm not sure you should give up on your '06. If it shot well before, and nothing was done to the gun, it should shoot well again. Have it checked out by a gunsmith or someone who is familiar with the model. Maybe mounts are loose, maybe you need a new scope, or maybe you should try a different load if you can't get your current one to group.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The 30-30 would probably work but your 30.06 would be better for the longer shots. I faced the same problems a couple or years ago and it was very frustrating. After learning through trial and error I learned that some of my problems where that I had the scope too far forward and I was sighting it in too close, not 100 yards exactly. Anyways, dont give up hope on your 30.06, keep working with it until you find a load that works better, maybe a lighter load. If all else fails and you think that you will do better with a levergun with open sights then by all means give it a try. I know that I sure like mine, there is nothing more comforatable to shoot to me.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: dh4stretch3
I need some help. I have a 30-06... I'm havin trouble with gettin the scope zeroed and getting consistent groups. I just really have no confidence with the gun, so I'm thinking about replacing it. I'd like to get a Marlin 336W in 30-30. ...but I'm just not comfortable trying to zero in the scope and what not. Please help me out
I think getting a 30-30 is a righteous thing to do, but maybe not neccesary in your case is you can find out what's up with your rifle, since you've already got it. 30-30 will likely work for your scenarios - it would have killed that hog just as dead just as fast! - but 30-06 gives you another hundred-plus yards (though whether you should be shooting that far is another matter... I don't).
Old 12-14-2006, 08:10 AM

Why no get a 336 in .30-.30 or .444 for hogs and other shorter range hunting and use the 06 when you are expecting longer range shots. You could also look to get a new XLR 336 with the 24" barrel and use the leverrevolution ammo and then you would be able to confidently take those 250, even longer shots.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:23 AM

Yeah dude, don't give up on the 06. Could be a very simple fix.