Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Field cleaning kits/rods

Old 12-13-2006, 10:15 AM

Default Field cleaning kits/rods

I am looking for a cleaning rod to take to the backcountry for trips of a week or so. At home I have a Dewey and a one piece brass rod and they work great.

I am looking for something to use if I got crap in my bore out in the field or to unstick and obstruction not clearing copper fouling. I see that there are kits that use flexible rods and bore snakes.. I am concerned that it might be hard to get them down the bore if there were an obstruction.

On the other hand I also see that there are ridgidmulti piece rods (I actully have a military 30 cal sectioned rod, but its steel and I am not so happy putting a sectioned steel rod down my bores and its heavy as hell). How about the aluminum sectioned rods are they safe for the bore and crown?

Lastly I should note that the rod would need to work from 30cal to 35cal and one of the rifles will clean from the muzzle.

what are your experiences?

Old 12-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Field cleaning kits/rods

bore snake
Old 12-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

I use the bore snake. I've only had mud and snow as obstructions and a stick handled that followed by the bore snake.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like the Otis cleaning kits. They use a flexible coated cable to pull a brush or patch through the bore. I havethe one called the'Tactical kit' which can clean anythign from a .17 to a 12 guage shotgun and the whole kit is about the size of my fist.Supposedly, the cable can be used to punch obstructions out of the bore, though I've never tried it or seen it done myself.