Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

First gun advice

Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 PM

Default First gun advice

Hi, I'm new here, I'm 18 years old and I'm about to complete my hunters safety course and then will be buying my first gun.

The gun I'm thinking about purchasing is a remington model 870 marine magnum.

I live in Rhode Island and this gun will be used for hunting, unless **** really hits the fan for some reason.

So I was hoping to get input from people here to see what the pros and cons would be of this gun or if I should go for something different all together.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First gun advice

welcome to the forums, really need a little more info, what are your plans, bird hunting, deer hunting, just shooting

one thing i can tell you, the 870 is a time proven design, although i'm not familiar with the "marine magnum" version. as for a pump gun they are great
Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 AM

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...ine_magnum.asp

thats the gun I'm talking about. It will primarily be used for hunting deer as thats what is most plentiful in RI
Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

The gun you are looking at is more of a personal/home protection gun. For a deer hunting shotgun, look for a 870with a slug barrel.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:27 AM

That thing you are looking at isn't really a hunting weapon. Shotguns are a very versatile tool-- something to consider in a first firearm.

When I just turned 18, and legal to buy a gun on my own, the first thing I got was a marlin 336, but I already had 'dad purchased' shotguns...
Old 12-14-2006, 11:25 AM

I totally agree that the shotgun you are interested in is not one you would want to use for hunting. Try a nice 870 express combo with bird and rifled slug barrels and your set for deer, bird and defense.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:45 PM

alright for some reasons i'm in love with the magazine tube being the same length as the barrel.

Is the 18" synthetic stock version with the 7 shot magazine a better choice?
Old 12-14-2006, 03:05 PM

you can buy magazine extensions from a number of places to achieve that same look.

but yes, the 870 express magnum is a wonderful machine. i love mine.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:08 PM

Something else to consider is looking at your game laws. Some places you have to have a plugged gun and having 7 shots in your gun isnt agood thing to have if your not supposed to have that many. Fines fines fines! I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum Combo and i LOVE IT. Ive had it for a year now and its never failed me. I shot my first deer with and at about 150 yards! Its a combo so it comes with a slug barrel and a "bird"/ Buck shot barrel. It only cost me about $300 to so its a good deal all around. That marine 870 your looking at is more of a police/ home defence gun. I would highly change your thoughs on getting that firearm!
Best wishes, Jake
Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 PM

ok express magnum it is then! the only other thing is arent there cheap parts that you can buy that will limit the guns capacity and then easily remove after to get those shots back?

Quick Reply: First gun advice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.