Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Stainless Steel Barrels?!?

Old 12-12-2006, 10:11 PM

Default RE: Stainless Steel Barrels?!?

I have a SS barrel that was either brushed or bead-blasted- don't remember which one- and i have no problem with glare.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:28 PM

I have an M77 stainless / syn. , that I have hunted and taken deer with, and it has never been an issue. It is so much of a non issue, that I am about to order a new gun that is a stainless / laminate. If I ever though it was bad for my hunting, I would never order the new gun that way.

God Bless

Old 12-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are a foul weather hunter, then a stainless barrel is really the way to go. Most newer factory ss barrels on a hunting rifle are dulled down so they dont put off much glare at all if any. I have a 22 with a ss barrel and it is polished to a nickel like finish and yes, it would be reflective on a bright day. Blued is cheaper but also more maintanance if you are using your rifle in foul weather. Stainless wont rust and this is just my opinion but I have found that it doesnt foul as easily either, but like I said that is just my opinion. I can shoot the cheapest crappiest 22 ammo and my gun doesnt foul nearly as bad as the other 3 22 rifles that we have here with blued barrels. I wish that I could have afforded the extra $100 when I got my .44 Magnum rifle, I would have sprung for the stainless model.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously anything that is bright and polished is going to give off reflection. If you choose SS, then go with the matte stainless.

I can remember when SS, and synthetic stocks became popular. Most smith's and machinists said stay away from SS barrels, they said they were not as accurate. Here is how they explained it: SS is more brittle than standard steel barrels. The rifling tended to cut regular steel, but it tended to tear SS. Therefore the SS was rougher-which lended itself to being less accurate. As SS became more and more popular-supposedly the SS was blended to be less brittle or hard, and thus became easier to cut, or less apt to tear.I believe it is this blend that will allow SS barrels to rust. They will rust. Today's SS barrels have thebest ofall three worlds. Accurate, durable(more shots before wearing out), and close to rust proof. Tom.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

As long as the rifle you’re looking at has a bead blasted s/s barrel , you’ll be fine. You could always check the finish in the store for any glare before purchasing the rifle and see for yourself...
Old 12-13-2006, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

What other reflections did you see,frost in the morning, dew, holly leaves? I'm not doubting, to mocking but reflections are a part of nature, I know the old stainless savages were polished and did have a bad glare, but scopes and bino's glass glare is much worse.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:58 AM

I was busted twice this year while hunting with this rifle. Its a custom that was my winter project last year. I intend to have the barrel and action bead blasted this winter. Though the light colored stock may be the culprit rather than the barrel.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:06 AM

Stainless is the way to go. Once you get a spec of rust on a blued gun its a tought fight to keep it from rusting more.

I have a ruger thats SS and I think its sort of shiney so I bought a roll of camo gun tape and run one strip down the top of the barrel and cut one strip in half for the sides of the reciever. that covers up 90% of the shine. It takes about 1 min to do. The camo tape comes off with out residue so I leave it for the season, nless I hunt in the pouring rain for a few days then I take it off and give the gun a once over before retaping.

Some day I may have the rifle bead blasted, but right now I have list of gun projects thats longer than my bank balance so it will have to wait.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you everybody for the information and experiences that you have provided. I will check and see what the type of finish is on the barrel. Im looking to purchase the Remington 700 SPS with a stainless steel barrel in 308 or 300 WM, so if anybody has one of those rifles and can inform me of the finish on the barrel that would be great. Caliber decision willprolly be made about 5 seconds before purchasing .I will hopefullybe using the rifle for elk and mule deer next season so was wanting to purchase now to get the rifle ready.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've never, everspooked a deer due to the fact that I was hunting with a stainless steel rifle.

Quick Reply: Stainless Steel Barrels?!?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.