Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

caliber of an m1 carbine?

Old 12-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: caliber of an m1 carbine?

I replaced the oprod and now shoot either surplus military ball or reloads with nothing slower than 4064...I've read that a 150 grain bullet with 4895 is close to what the rifle was designed for..
I use 4895 for 150 gr bullets, and 4064 for bullets 165gr and up. I pretty much only shoot 168gr SMKs w/4064 these days.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Assuming it to be true that only certain bullets can be used, I guarantee it isn't a 50 grain. They don't even make a 50 grain for the 06. It would have to be at least a 150 grain.
Actually, the 30-06 accelerator bulletsare 50 grains. Of course, they are illegal now, as are the 30-30 accelerators, which are 50 grains.

Old 12-12-2006, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: younggun243

Assuming it to be true that only certain bullets can be used, I guarantee it isn't a 50 grain. They don't even make a 50 grain for the 06. It would have to be at least a 150 grain.
Actually, the 30-06 accelerator bulletsare 50 grains. Of course, they are illegal now, as are the 30-30 accelerators, which are 50 grains.
Actually, the 30-06 accelerators were 55 grains. They were a .223 caliber bullet with a sabot that peeled off after it left the barrel. I never heard they were illegal. I thought they died from lack of sales. And, those aren't really what you were talking about in your first post, were they?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

And, those aren't really what you were talking about in your first post, were they?
I was responding to what you were saying, that they don't make 50 grain 30-06s, but they did make them with 55 grain, as you pointed out, so I was relatively close in my assumtion.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

Yeah i knew the Garande took 30-06. I guess we could look for an engraving on the barrel?

Oh well, research time. I could've done it by now. I ended up making myself late with this freakin forum haha.

Good day sir!
IF you are talking about theU.S. Cartbine, Caliber .30 M1, it shoots the .30 U.S. carbine cartridge, which is a rimless, straight-cased pistol-type cartridge holding a 110-grain full-jacketed .308 diameter roundnose bullet. MV is 1900 FPS. If you try to chamber a .30/'06 cartridge in a .30 Carbine, it will soon be obvious that the fit is a little tight!

THANKS TO STEVE RICCIARDELLI, http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm FOR THIS ILLUSTRATION.....
Old 12-13-2006, 08:44 AM

All the military M1 carbines were originally chambered for the .30 caliber carbine round. This roundhasa slender straight rimless case that is1.25 inches long.It was developed from the .32 Winchester automatic round.The .32 Winchester automatic was a semi-rimmed rifle round fired in the Model 1905 Winchester rifle.The militaryball bullet for the .30 carbineweighed 110 grains. Velocity was in the area of 2000-2100 fps.

The .30 carbine is really not a suitable deer round unless used at short range by a good shooter. My Dad hunted with a .30 carbine that igave him for over 35 years. He killed a lot of deer with it, all at short range.

In the 60sor 70s; one Marvin Johnson, of Johnson automatic rifle fame, developed the .22 MMJ. This was the .30 caliber carbine round necked down to .22. Had one one once and it was neat.

Will take a photo as soon as i can find the camera. Will post it on this thread.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:00 AM

Here are the photos of the .30 caliber carbine round and the .32 WSLR round that it was developed from. The .32 winchester SLR had a 165 grain bullet at about 1400 fps. It has been called "the most useless rifle round ever developed." Some san the same of the .30 caliber carbine round.

Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: younggun243

And, those aren't really what you were talking about in your first post, were they?
I was responding to what you were saying, that they don't make 50 grain 30-06s, but they did make them with 55 grain, as you pointed out, so I was relatively close in my assumtion.
Insert foot in mouth once again younggun. If you don't know what you are talking about, leave your mouth closed and go troll somewhere else.

To answer the initial question. The M1 Carbine is chambered in 30 M1 Carbine as it has already been stated numerous times.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Insert foot in mouth once again younggun. If you don't know what you are talking about, leave your mouth closed and go troll somewhere else.

To answer the initial question. The M1 Carbine is chambered in 30 M1 Carbine as it has already been stated numerous times.
Look buddy boy, what I said was true, the M-1 Garand fired a specific type of 30-06 round. I didn't say it was 50 grain, I said I thought it was 50 grain, go back and look at my post, I said ".......a 50 grain, I believe.".

Then jpshooter says that no 30-06 is made in 50 grain.

I say that the 30-06 accelerator was a 50 grain, but it was actually a 55 grain. I couldn't remember which one it was. They're too close in numerical value to be remembered.

I just make a simple mistake, which was not my main topic of my post(Main topic was that only a certain type of 30-06 could be used in an M-1 Garand, not any commercial ammo, which is true.)
And out of a small mistake, you come out and call someone stupid.

I have lots of reason to believe that you only posted here to increase your post count. All you do in your post, is critsize a mistake that took place in a post that people had moved on from. People were talking about other things, and you post something off-topic.

Then, you state a fact, that as you said in your post, "....as it has been stated numerous times.

When all you do is tell people to shut up, you have nothing to say, so stick the foot in your mouth, 'cause I'm learning from my mistakes, and I don't care if you think that it isn't fair that you must be in the presence of minds that aren't so informed as your's are, then you can take your little master-minded superiority complex out of here, and do the world some good, because
I'm going to contribute to threads, and if I'm wrong, I'll stand corrected proudly, while you cry in the dark over your milk so long that it's saltier than the sea.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

younggun - how many times a day do you get beat up at middleschool? I'm just wondering?

As for post count - I've never seen you contribute anything to these forums, you just post your BS about joining the military when you are old enough, which is fine, good for you. You have been a member to these forums for 3 months and you have 10 less posts than me, and I have been here over a year......

Quick Reply: caliber of an m1 carbine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.