Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Old 12-11-2006, 09:05 PM

Default RE: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

why not use a .243? that will kill deer really well in your range.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:26 AM

Just try another ammo like the ones I suggested or Wolf or something like that, you'll save yourself a lot of money. Trust me, it really works.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Mike from Texas
ORIGINAL: savage221
Thanks to most everybody for the fast responses... longest shots I’m taking are a bit over 100 yards so I should be good to go I would think.
Then if that's the case, I gotta ask. Why did you get a 7mm Magnum in the first place? Sounds like you certainly don't need it.
No, he probably doesn't need 7mm mag - and neither do the great majority of deer hunters who own one.

BY THE WAY - shot a three-point buck this morning with the 30-30. Yippee! And he died, too - aint' that sumthin'? No belt, no 'magnum' sobriquet, no high-dollar ammo, no three bazillion fps/fpe, no dislocated shoulder and no flinch - ain't it grand? Into left ribcage behind shoulder, out front right shoulder, a short loopy run and down.

Now I gotta go back out and skin it...
Old 12-12-2006, 08:08 AM

Asking why din't you buy this gun or that gun isn't going to help this guy any. The man bought a 7 mag, he either needs to fix the problem or just buy another gun. A flinching problem can be fixed with some mental discipline and practice. Pull the trigger slowly and let the gun surprise you. Many times you will catch yourself flinching and learn to correct it. Also practice with a 22, switch off between the 7 mag and the 22 and you'll learn to stop flinching. None of this will help if you can't stop the scope from hitting you, fix that and you can shoot this gun. I had the same problem when I started shooting my 7 mag now it's not a problem. If you don't want to put the time and money into it just buy another gun.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:22 AM

To answer a couple of questions that have been posed.As for Ammo, I've been shooting 150gr Remington Cor-Lok. As for shooting ability, I've been sholdering a gun for 17 years so far and taken more than my share of game out of the woods thank you very much (This is not directed to the guys that made construstive shooting adjustment suggestions). I got the gun on a trade for a Marlin 30/30 that didn't fit me well (now I regret it, but what are you going to do). My thought was that I would have one rifle to deer hunt with and if I ever went West or North to hunt bigger game (Elk, Moose and the like) I would have a gun ready to go that I was comfortable shooting. Right now I'm not really thinking about a West or North trip that may or may not happen some day; I just want a gun that won't cost me an arm and leg to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo a month, won't kick me in the head every time I shoot it and will fit my larger frame. I'm working out a trade for a Remington Woodsmaster 740 with a guy on this board right now so with a bit more range time this spring and summer I should be good to go for next season. Thanks again for all the usefull comments
Old 12-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know a bunch of guys that bought more gun than they need because they might go "Out West"...

I tell them...If I can afford the trip to go "Out West" I can afford another gun....

Good Luck...
Old 12-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think you will be happy with a woodsmaster 30-06. There is very little difference in recoil between the 7mm rem mag and the 30-06. There are several options available to reduce felt recoil. #1-check eye relief,#2-get GOOD recoil pad,#3-use 140-150 gr bullets,#4-think about a muzzlebreak. It sounds to me like you have a scope eye relief problem. Readjust your eye relief to the farthest away from your eye while still maintaining full field of view and then shoot it.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:31 AM
Typical Buck

I got the gun on a trade for a Marlin 30/30 that didn't fit me well (now I regret it, but what are you going to do).
Get another Marlin!

I'm working out a trade for a Remington Woodsmaster 740 with a guy on this board right now so with a bit more range time this spring and summer I should be good to go for next season.
Good idea; I like the idea of 30-06/.308 semi-auto. Old friend had a 740 in 30-06, I shot his a bunch; it was definitely milder than my Savage 30-06. A thought: I've heard that parts aren't avail for the 740 anymore... anyone know about this? Check it out carefully...

Best /catus
Old 12-12-2006, 11:39 AM

I used to own a 458 weatherby. I took it to Alaska for grizz. First time I shot it I had a nice welt across the forehead. I changed the redoil pad and moved the scope as far away as I could. It helped and sure made it easier to shoot. Most guns that come with a scope are set to whatever the factory wants. Doesn't mean it has to stay that way. I normally use a 44 mag handgun and I have learned that different rounds act differently in this gun. I am now looking for a longer barreled 44 mag. I learned to love handgun hunting and shooting. I don't think I would spend the money to add a muzzle brake or have it vented. I think I would just invest in a new gun that fit your needs better. Maybe you can find someone that likesw being beat to death when they shoot. LOL
Good luck with whatever you decide to do
Old 12-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Since you shoot a 10 gauge, you are not sensitive to recoil.

You need to figure out afew things here. The biggest cause of your flinching is the anticipation of the scope smacking you. This may alsocause you not to shoulder the gun properly, thus heavy recoil. Why is the scope hitting you? There is probably not enough eye relief. There should be about 3-4 inches of eye relief.

Sit down at thebench with your eye on the scope and see how many fingers you can place between youreye and the scope. Three fingers are about right for a man with a normal sized hand. If there is not enough eye relief then try to move the scope forward in the mounts. It may be necessary to change the scope or mounts.

There is the possibility that you are "climbing the scope." It may be out of focus and you are compensating for this.For taming recoil, I have a couple of shirts with pads sewn into the shoulders. This works very well. My wife is a seamstress and uses womens shoulder pads for this. You may want to try this when shooting from the bench.

What weight bullets are you shooting? If you are using heavy bullets, you may want to try 140 grain loads. i do not find that the 7mm Magnum has that much recoil. It is about like a .30-06 with alight 150 grain load.

Try breathing control. Itcan be very usefulwhen huntingfrom a stand. Take a couple of deep breaths. Hold about half the last deep breath and squeeze the trigger.

I have this same gun in left hand and .300 Win. Mag. It has a very good scope with proper eye relief. I justdevelopeda heavy 180 grain load for elk hunting next year. Had to shoot about 200 rounds on five or six trips to the range to get it right. The recoil never hurt me once.

Try to figure it all out before trading in that gun.

Quick Reply: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.