Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Old 12-11-2006, 01:34 AM

Default RE: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

ORIGINAL: savage221

Ok, now that the regular season is over here in New York State I have a question for more experienced rifle shooters than myself. Last year I bought a Ruger M77 mark II bolt action in 7mm magnum. It kicks like a government mule (worse than my 10ga BPS) and I’ve been hit in the forehead so many times by the scope that I’m flinching like crazy whenever I pull the trigger. The flinching cost me two doe this season that were both gimmy shots (70 yards standing still in open cut fields, I just thank god that they were clean misses).

I like the gun a lot; it shoots flat, its light and comes up nice but I can’t keep it if I can’t get over the recoil issue. So, the question is what do I do? Do I toss it and get something chambered in a smaller caliber say 30-06? Do I invest in a better recoil pad? Will moving the scope forward help at all? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Please just don’t get too technical; I do a lot of bird hunting (upland and waterfowl) and know more about shotguns than rifles. Thanks in advance.
Easy answer, change your ammo. I bought the very same rifle this year, same caliber but in stainless synthetic. The first box of ammo I used for it was 140 grain Winchester Accubonds and it kicked way too hard for me that I too was considering getting a lesser caliber but I tried a box of Federal Classic Powershock 150 grains and it kicks less then my 30-06 does now. By the way, 30-06 is actually a larger caliber just uses less of a charge but not much. You gain about 200 fps and fpe over the 30-06 with the 7mm Rem Mag

So what type of ammo were you using?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:43 AM

I have learned to hold the gun firmer against my shoulder and my shoulder firmer. I wasn't afraid of the recoil of the 7mmRM. Before I learned to tighten up my shoulder and brace the gun better, I was cutting the bridge of my nose from the rifle scope. To be hitting yourself in the forhead with the scope. I would think you have see thru mounts and you are lowering your head before you squeeze the trigger. Bad habbit for sure. Recoil pad and good ear protectors should help. Or get reduce recoil ammo. Very sweet,not loud and good for 200yrds and drops them in their tracks if you hit them in the right place.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand your pain. I think it was Roskoe who said that the 77Ruger is one of the hardest kicking guns out there. I agree. I also have a 77 in 7 Mag, and although I became accostomed to it's behavior, some people who have watched me shoot it off the bench have turned down my offers to let them have a try. It kills in front, and cripples behind. Never felt the kick when shooting a deer, however. Although not the main reason for a new gun, I must say it was a consideration. My new 7-08 is such a joy to shoot...try it....you'll like it...
Old 12-11-2006, 07:28 AM
Typical Buck

When you flench it is a natural body reaction to an event. Everyone flenches. Slap your forhead with your hand hard 5 times. By the 5th time your eyes will squint ina flench. Inyour rifle'scase your flenching against felt recoil. By now your body is conditioned to flench each time you pull a trigger. Don't beleve me? Try this. Have a friend stand beside you at the range. Don't watch him but ask him to load your rifle for you. Tell him to either put a shell in it or not. Close the bolt so you don't know if it's live or not and take your shot down range a few timeswith or without ashell.10 to 1 says even with out the bullet in there when the trigger clicks you flench and pull. Now to break the habbit start easy by dry fireing until you don't flench. Then switch to a .22 LR and fire it until you don't flench then move up to a .223 and finally to your big game rifle. You have plenty of time to do this during the off season. It took me a bout a month to recondition myself. Remember Flenching is a natural reaction of the body saying hey this is going to hurt let be get ready.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:32 AM

A lot of good advice. I bought a .300 win mag early this year and put a sims slip-on recoil pad over the stock pad and made sure that I had as much eye relief as possible even before shooting. It must have done the trick as felt recoil was healthy, but not bad.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

If you are just talking deer, a 30-06 is still much more than you need....Drop on down to a .243 and you will have no problems...Too many guys flinch and will never admit it...That's why they miss a deer here and there...Never seem to figure it out, because they don't find the deer, they can't tell where they hit it...With a smaller caliber, you will enjoy practicing more, so you will become a better shot...When you pull the trigger you should know where that shot went, every time...Its not thunder that kills....Its lightning......
Old 12-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Typical Buck

30-30, 30-30, 30-30!
Old 12-11-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Catus Magnus

30-30, 30-30, 30-30!
That is one of the best answers that I have seen to this problem yet. This one goes right up there with whoever said "its not thunder that kills, its lightning." Very good advice indeed. Going to a smaller caliber rifle for deer is always good advice when you develop magnumitus. Whoever came up with the idea of "well since I didnt kill the deer with a bad shot with my small caliber rifle I had better get a cannon" should be taken out and whipped with an old 30-30 rifle sling lol. A. you have got to know the limitations of you and the rifle that you are shooting B. you have got to be able to shoot the said rifle until you are totally comforatable with shooting it and you know how and where to aim at said game C. Reread line A. when it comes time to squeeze the trigger when the sights are lined up on that monster buck. Shooting a rifle that is scaring the pants off from you everytime that you squeeze the trigger is rarely going to get meat put on your table. You may not achieve the macho status packing a 30-30 but at the end of hunting season should at least be proud of yourself for a job well done.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I bought a .243 for my son, and liked shooting it so much, I bought one for myself too. I used to use a .30-06, but had to really, really concentrate to avoid flinching. No such problem with the .243...

And, it's plenty of medicine for deer. I've taken 4 deer with 4 shots. One went about 40 yards, one went about 3 steps, and two dropped in their tracks. That terminal performance is on par with my .30-06, without the shoulder punishment...

Get a .243. You won't be sorry.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Dominant Buck

I took my Moose back in 1995 with a Ruger M77 6.5mmSwede and Norma 156gr "Alaska" ammo.

Have killed Elk with .270 150gr NP.

You don't need 7mm mag for deer unless you're shooting them at 400 or 450 yds. You'll do just fine with .260 or 7mm-08 for deer if you don't like re-coil.

Quick Reply: Recoil cost me this year; please HELP

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.