Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger in 257 Roberts

Old 12-10-2006, 10:11 AM

Default Ruger in 257 Roberts

I'm have a Ruger in the 257 Roberts. Have only fired maybe 3 box of ammo through the rifle. The group at 100 years is about 2 1/2 inches. I have 2 other Ruger's one 280 and the other a 25 06 and they are nail drivers. Has anyone had any expernece with the 257 and did the group improve after more shooting. Have only tried Rem Core loc thinking of Trying Hornaday SST in the light Mag. Before I invest in the dies and power to reload for the 257 I want the group to get just a little better. What has been your experence with the 257.
Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Ruger in 257 Roberts

I haven't ever had much success with Remington Core-lokts. I'd try something else before passing judgment.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:10 PM

Ist look down the bore. does it look well polished, do cleaning patches go down the bore with no rough spots?

Is the trigger light enough for you to shoot good groups?

Is it in walnut stock? If so take the rifle apart and make sure that the area in the stock around the recoil lug is smooth and that the rifle doesn't bind when you put in the stock.

Torgue the screws to the following numbers in inch/pounds

Diagonal screw: 35 min, 90 max.
Trigger guard screws: 30 min, 50 max

If that doesn't work I would consider an bedding job with a free float on the barrel
Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Fork Horn

I have the M77 mark II (walnut stock)in .257 roberts and with factory ammo I've never been able to attain real tight groups, but I've also taken quite a few deer and even a fall turkey with this gun soI have no real complaints. I love this caliber for deer and whenI get into re-loading I figure I can get tighter groups. I've shot core-lokts (117 gr)and federal nosler partitions (120gr) and they both group around ~2" @100yards.

No knees, I'm curious about what you said about the stock. If I hold the forend of the stock in my palm and place my thumb against the barel and put pressure on the barel, the stock will move slightly and make a creaking noise. Should i do what you have suggested? Thanks.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

On Ruger rifles, sometimes playing around with the torque on the angled action screw can better your groups. Its a simple thing to try before doing anything drastic. For me Corlokts are usually very accurate. The Roberts is NOT a cartridge known for NOT shooting well. The last one I had, a 700 Remington would shoot three shot groups usually all touching. This with 120 grain Nosler BT's loaded by Federal.
Old 12-10-2006, 01:12 PM

My experience is that many Rugers do much better with a free floated barrel. The traditional test to see if your barrel is free floated is see if you can slip a dollar bill folded once along the long axis, between the stock and the barrel. if its free floated the bill should slide freelyalmost to the receiver.I think that from the factory Rugers usually come with contact between the stock and barrel.

Although you can free float a rifle without bedding it the two areoften done together. Glass bedding is pretty easy to do yourself if your handy, or a gunsmith can do it..around my area it runs about $100

Old 12-10-2006, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 77 ultralight for a while in .257 Roberts and for what it was ( lightweight, 20"BBL pencil thin ) it shot way better than that. You need to go over the bedding, screws and find a load for it before passing judgement.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:52 PM
Fork Horn

I went shooting today to try a few things. First I shot the rifle from the bench (all shooting was donefrom the benchon a rest), a three shot group with 117 gr core-lokts. 2 shots were about 1.5" apart the third was a flyer (could have been me). Next I put a buisness card between the stock and the barrel on the left side (a dollar bill will slide freely all the way to the receiver on the left side but not onthe right) shot three core-lokts, the first two were touching, almost the same hole, and the third was a flyer, about 2.5" low. Then I put a card on the right side (left and right now have cards) and I shot 3 core-lokts ina ladder pattern about 1.25". I then shot three federal nosler partitions, two touching the third just shy of touching to complete the clover leaf. I'm guessing the third flies due to barrel heating but it was cool outside so I made sure the barrel was cooled off before each three shot group.

My question is, what should I do next? It's not practical to hunt with paper between the barrel and stock, so doI free float the barrel or put a wood shim in place of the paper buisness card? I think I was able to determine the cause of the less than precise shooting and the cards will work on sunny days but not in the snow and rain. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should just give up and sell it cheap to me.

I think you already know what to do. I dont think shooting one box of corelokt can tell you anything. I would try some different ammo. If your going to pass judgement on rifles after only one or 2 loads you will prob be disappointeda lotof the time.

PA257 did you try the Partitions without the business cards under the barrel?

If I were you, Id at the very least take stock off and run some sandpaper where the barrel channel is. Maybe not enough to float the barrel but enough to take off anyting rough. If you feel comfortable taking out enough material to float it by all means go for it. Just put some type of wood sealer on the part you sandpaper. There are plenty of good posts on how to freefloat a barrel on here if you use the search feature you should get all the help you need. Just take your time.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

DB,

Don't know if you were talking to me about selling the gun, butI'm not sellingand if I did, you'd have to get in line. I use this gun for hunting so obtaining 0.5 moa is not my objective, I just know this gun should shoot better groups.

I did not shoot the partitions without the cards today, but I have on other days plenty of times and the results have been ~2.0" groups, maybe 1.5" on a good day. I guess free-floating would be the best along with a bedding job. I'll do a search. Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: Ruger in 257 Roberts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.