Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Guns worth it?

Old 12-06-2006, 09:45 PM

Default Custom Guns worth it?

Wondering how many of you have had guns put together for you by a gunsmith. Was it worth it in the end or did you end up selling the rifle? Looking at having one built for me before trying to build one myself.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:53 PM

Default RE: Custom Guns worth it?

I hate to say it, but custom guns are worth the money,an average custom gun is head and shoulders above a mass produced model, Soil, I don't think you will be dissappointed with the possibilities.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:54 PM
bigcountry

I have had a few put together, but doubt I will again. It was mostly my fault. I usually picked 1" OD barrels, and ended putting together basically a target rifle. But end the end, I want a gun I can easily use in the woods. I can buy off the rack rifles, that serve me well. One is a sako. Another is another FN SPR. Most I do anymore is change out the stock. But one day I will own a NULA's 300WSM or win mag. Thats as high up as I will go from now on.

Old 12-07-2006, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would imagine that it depends greatly on what you are tyring to build. Now if you buy yourself a rifle and have it customized to fit your needs then yes, the cost will almost certainly attain you the satisfaction that you are looking for. But I have seen several instances where a person was trying to build themselves a tack driver that in the end wasnt exactly what they where envisioning. Lol, just check out your local pawn shop and you will more than likely find a few of these.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you are building one amd may want to sell it later, I would build something that has a pretty wide market. I mean a caliber that would meet quite a few hunters requirments. I wouldn't put to much money into a gun that only one person in 100 would have a use for. Another thing to think about, you may have to build your own if you want a tack driving quarter in MOA rifle. They are few and far between. However its easy to buy a ready made gun that will meet or surpass the needs of any hunter. If you roll a rifle thats really custom for you, it may not fit anyone else. You can make a lot of improvments on a rifle getting it to really shoot well but its not easy to get that money back at sale time. You may luck out and find some hunter looking for just what you build but its best not to count on it.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:24 AM

I think James hit the nail on the head.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

What are you looking to spend on your build? I was going to build a couple of years ago, but I went with a Blaser instead and been very pleased. Plus, with a Blaser R-93, I am not locked into a single caliber. My Blasers is actually more versatile and easier to change barrels than my Encores.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:57 AM

Around the 1K mark. I know this is cheap for a custom. Blazers look like a great rifle...as well as the Ultra Light Arms....but that'll have me well past $1K. I'd realized the part about keeping the gun in an open market which is why I've decided on good ole 30-06 instead of the sultry 6.5 swede.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

With 1K to spend I would look at the Kimber line of rifles. They're available in 30-06 and are probably better than a 1K custom rifle.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you could sayI went "custom". I bought a Savage 110 in 300 Ultra Mag. As soon as I picked it up from the shop I took it to my smith where it spent 6 months getting a new stock, trigger,trigger guard, muzzle break, feed rails smoothed, action smoothed, rings lapped and then my barrel, rings, and trigger guard all got reblued together to match. I know this was not truely custom because I still have the original barrel, and action but it doesnot look like a regular Savage anymore. Plus it shoots about .575" @100 and about 1" @ 200 yards. I only have about $500 above the cost of the rifle in it, but I would say I dramtically increased its looks and resale value.

Quick Reply: Custom Guns worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.