Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Guns worth it?

Old 12-08-2006, 08:26 AM
DM

Default RE: Custom Guns worth it?

That Sauer is so doggone pretty that I'm afraid to take it out in the nasty stuff. What good is that?! I don't need any safe queens.
That's YOUR fault, not the Sauer's.... It's only a "safe queen" because YOU made it one...

I took them into the field, and never felt bad about doing so.... The thing i never liked about the Sauer's i've owned is, they are too heavy!

Anyway, back to the origional post:

"If" the origional poster is "already" worried what it will be worth when he sells it, then he probable shouldn't get one.

I don't care what mine are worth, i didn't buy/build themto sell! I bought/built what i thought was the absolute "best for me" and it wasn't available any other way.

I'm glad i did it, as when i was crawling through the alders tracking a wounded brown i knew that what was in my hands was going to work for me and i had complete confidence in it. When my gun was getting rained on day after day and i found a nice caribou 200 yards away, i knew when i pulled the trigger i would hear a bang and the extra i spent on a good scope would mean it's not fogged up.

And, they still aren't forsale....

DM
Old 12-08-2006, 08:31 AM

Oh its definately worth it. Especially if you like accuracy. I've built several, all of which are 1/2 MOA or better weapons. Heck a simple barrel switch will increase accuracy dramatically.

If you are think about doing it yourself you can. I do. A friend and I bought a video from brownells. End up buying a set of Dave Manson Accurizing tools for rem 700's. Then we would buy short chambered barrels. We would finish ream the chambers by hand and put them on the actions. We done a few that way until we decided to get a lathe and such. My point is, with some research, some basic mechanical ability, and a fat wallet it is possible. There is something special about shooting a weapon that you put together with your own hands.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DM

That's YOUR fault, not the Sauer's.... It's only a "safe queen" because YOU made it one...

Yep, guilty as charged. LH Colt Sauers don't come around every day LOL. Saved for close to a year and bought the action first. Then I had to save for 6 mos to pay for that custom thumbhole stock and waited another 6 mos for it to be completed. I took it out a few times and killed a couple of deer with it. Weight wasn't an issue for me back then (young and dumb) but now 25 years later, that rifle is worth at least 3 times what I paid for it even though it's not nor will it be for sale. For now, it's happy in the safe. It gets out every couple of months to get lubed and at least once a year to the range. When I get older and do that 'box stand' type of hunting, it will probably go out with me again.