Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Custom Guns worth it?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:50 PM

Default RE: Custom Guns worth it?

ORIGINAL: Superpig

With 1K to spend I would look at the Kimber line of rifles. They're available in 30-06 and are probably better than a 1K custom rifle.
I would...I like the Kimber line but I'm left handed. I'm not spending that amount of money for a single shot bolt. A Ruger #1 has been considered also. I have a 1/2MOA guarentee on a trued LH mauser in laminate stock.

Why not spend that money on a single shot if I put that first shot exactly were I want the first time? I suppose it's become a matter of principle. Stick it to the right-hand man...I won't play his north-pawed game! LOL
Old 12-07-2006, 02:54 PM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

I guess you could sayI went "custom". I bought a Savage 110 in 300 Ultra Mag. As soon as I picked it up from the shop I took it to my smith where it spent 6 months getting a new stock, trigger,trigger guard, muzzle break, feed rails smoothed, action smoothed, rings lapped and then my barrel, rings, and trigger guard all got reblued together to match. I know this was not truely custom because I still have the original barrel, and action but it doesnot look like a regular Savage anymore. Plus it shoots about .575" @100 and about 1" @ 200 yards. I only have about $500 above the cost of the rifle in it, but I would say I dramtically increased its looks and resale value.
That ^^^^ is presicely what my gunsmith does for the bulk of his business. Give factory rifles complete overhauls. And we've looked into doing just that since savage does make a good action (regardless of what the 700 fanatics say) and they make it in left hand. And you've hit about the same $1K mark if total service ran you $500.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:00 PM

I have had two rifles built. The first one I had built because I wanted something different, a .338-06. I found a run-down Remington 700, for cheap, and put a Kreiger barrel on it. After rebarreling and re-bluing, the rifle cost me $790, back in '97. I plan to replace the stock sometime soon, so that will bring the cost up a bit. The rifle shoots better than I can. If I do my part, the rifle will easily shoot under an inch at 200 yards.

The last one I had built was more out of opportunity than anything. I met a gunsmith that does top-notch work and charges much less than he's worth. Shortly there after, I decided I wanted to build another rifle. I ran into a close-out Remington 700, cheap. Later that week, I stumbled on a new Hart barrel, cheap. I still want to upgrade the stock, but so far I've only got $780 into my .280 Ackley Improved. It shoots under an inch at 100 yards with my fire-form loads, and I can't wait to see what it will do with "real" ammo.

Will I be able to resell my rifles for what I have in them, especially after I get done putting decent synthetic stocks on them? Probably not. But, in each of these cases, what I do have is custom-built rifle for about the same cost as a new Sako or Weatherby. That's good enough for me.

Would I have another built in the future? I certainly hope so!

Old 12-07-2006, 04:10 PM

I'm thinking about doing something if I end up getting a Savage. I still plan on getting a Tikka if at all possible, but the left-handed variants seem to be few and far between, and only in a handful of calibers. I might end up doing what mossy33oak did to some degree.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:29 PM

Hello All. Interesting topic. I build custom Mausers and find that even with a "cheap" A&B barrel, I can get wonderful results. The beauty of a custom is you can match the twist for the application you need. If you are looking for a deer rifle, Critter rifle of Dangerous game rifle, you can build it to match the targeted species. I recently finished a 6.5-'06 Ackley built specifically for deer and antelope. I am also working on5 rifles from 257 Ackley to 35 Whelen Improved. Each is a joy in itself. My goal is sub MOA and I haven't failed yet.....in fact, most of my rifles are sub 1/2 MOA. I do this as a hobby and I'm having a blast! I just love custom rifles on a superior Orberndorf or Steyr action.....just doesn't get any better. Good luck and regards, Rick.
Old 12-07-2006, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Since you are left-handed, I would go Savage. They usually start off pretty accurate so you can 'customize' it in steps and with a Savage, you can do a lot of it yourself. Trigger ($100), yourself. Cool bolt handle ($40), yourself. Multitude of nice barrels for less than $300, (have to spend about $100 to get the tools), yourself. You can often get barrels for much less and you can swap barrels at will. Stock, buy it unfinished cheap ($125) and finish it, yourself. If you feel the need you can send the action off to have timed and trued for about $200. Do all of this and you would have a heck of a fine rifle and the pride in knowing that you did most of it yourself.

And not every gunsmith turns out winners. The really good gunsmiths are usually backlogged (with good reason) for several months. If you go the gunsmith route, get references.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 PM

Kelbro, what you listed in the above post is pretty much exactly what I'd planned on doing. I must admit though that ever since I felt a *nice* mauser in a Gander Mountain a year ago....well, I fell in love. Childish I know. Headspacing concerns me and I've heard that the man putting the barrel to the action makes a big difference on the accuracy outcome. I don't know, seems to me like you get a good action....put it on a good barrel...don't screw up the headspacing and that's all there is to it...but I'm not gunsmith, not yet. Left handed stocks are a problem too. More so than LH actions. The trigger and bolt handle I have no concerns about doing. But inletting the stock? What about that? Just keep 'chippin' away till things fit? The bedding has to be fitted also, right? Not just a simple notch for the bolt handle to recess in.
I may have him put together a barreled action and do the rest myself. That's sounding like a viable option. I have every bit of confidence in the 'smith I've been talking to. Best I can figure up he's asking a hair under 30% over his costs in components. This does not count the chemicals/products to blue and finish the stock....and include glass bedding the stock.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Soilarch
That ^^^^ is presicely what my gunsmith does for the bulk of his business. Give factory rifles complete overhauls. And we've looked into doing just that since savage does make a good action (regardless of what the 700 fanatics say) and they make it in left hand. And you've hit about the same $1K mark if total service ran you $500.
plus..........(dont drool) mines Left handed too!!!!! I havent seen too many 300 Rum Savages in LH.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:40 AM

im sure they are but cost alot of cash
Old 12-08-2006, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Yes, I understand the apprehension on barrel swaps. $35 of that $100 that I put up there is for a set of go and no-go gauges. Screw the barrel on until the go gage says yes, no gage says no, tighten the nut. There are some good stocks fullt inletted and pillar bedded.

If you have confidence in your 'smith, let him do some of the work and you do some yourself. I have found that most 'smiths are glad to help as long as you spend some money with them up front. A lot of times, they will even loan you some of the specialty tools which will save you even more money. I bought the tools so I can switch my short action from .243 to .308 to 7mm/08 to .358 all on one timed and trued action. I can do varmint/terget barrels or sporter/field barrels. Bedded properly, you can even swap between target and hunting stocks without a deviation in your accuracy. 4 barrels now, 2 stockswith a little over $1200 invested including the original rifle.

I have a few factory LH rifles and they are nice. I have a LH Colt Sauer in .270 and I have never felt anything as smooth. But, the Savages flat out shoot and that's what it's all about to me. That Sauer is so doggone pretty that I'm afraid to take it out in the nasty stuff. What good is that?! I don't need any safe queens.

Quick Reply: Custom Guns worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.