Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What would u suggest for a young person learning too shoot?

Old 12-07-2006, 07:35 AM

Default RE: What would u suggest for a young person learning too shoot?

I just went out on Wed. of this week and bought my 8 yr old son a Rossi youth model gun. It came with a 22LR barrel and a 410 barrel. perfect size for him to start out on. You can also purchase a .243 barrel for deer hunting."I" cant wait until christmas to take him out and begin the fundamentals of shooting. The whole package was $189!
Old 12-07-2006, 07:45 AM

Start him off shooting a .22 so he can learn his form and proper shooting. Do that for a year then get him going on a 30-30. It worked for me.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 AM

u cant beat that price. I was in gander mt yesterday and they have a NEF single shot with a 22 lr and .410 barrel in black composite for 129
Old 12-07-2006, 08:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: goyard74

i havent checked personally but i was told today the 223 wasnt legal for deer here. I do have a 243 but I think it will be too long of a gun for him at 12. I will probally have too go with a youth model of some sort.
You said it's a Ruger, right? Why don't you check to see if Ruger makes a Youth Model Stock for it, and you can swap that onto the rifle. Definitely cheaper than buying him a whole new rifle.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 AM

I started with a Sheridan Blue Streak, then moved to a .22LR, a gas-operated 12 gauge, and ultimately a .243 Win. I don't remember exactly how old I was when I started shooting each, but I was regularly trapshooting with my Reminton 1100 12ga at age 12, and I went deer hunting for the first time about that same time as well.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:54 PM

I got a Savage .17 HMR last year new for $180. My kids love to shoot it. It's the most accurate gun I own. Ammo is more expensive than a 22 but the accuracy is amazing.Nickel size groups at 100 yrds. I have two sons and my oldest son is 13 and only weighs 100 lbs and he is shootinga Rem 760 in 30-06. I cut the stock down to fit him and bought some of the reduced recoil bullets. He's killed two deer with it so far. With this setup I only need to buy him another stock when he gets older and he can keep the gun for the rest of his life. If you would rather buy a youth gun I would buy a single shot in 25-06 or maybe even a 270, then trade it in on something else when he gets older. I hope this helps.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:04 PM

goyard74 If you already have a 243 just buy a cheap stock for it and cut it down your self. It's actuall really easy to do and it will save you a lot of money. Just trace the shape of the but end of the stock an inch or two shorter on the gun then cut it out with a coping saw. Finish it up with an orbital sander and stain it to seal it. even easier if it's a composite stock. It'll take you a few hrs. Depending on the gun you could even buy one of those military stocks that are adjustable for under $100.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:06 PM
Typical Buck

Get him a good single shot .22LR make him use it with the iron sights first and get accurate with that. Then move him to a 30-30. Have him hunt that with Iron until he makes his first kill. After the first kill on Iron let him move to a scoped rifle. If you start him out on a scope it's like jumping ahead. First scoped rifle I would suggest would be a .223 and go from there.
Old 12-07-2006, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Briman,
I was talking plinking,not wingshooting.I geuss I should have specified.
BBJ
Old 12-07-2006, 03:22 PM

I agree with bigpapa.

Quick Reply: What would u suggest for a young person learning too shoot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.