Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

picked up a savage .270 and right out of the box...

Old 12-06-2006, 01:05 PM

Default RE: picked up a savage .270 and right out of the box...

Savages are very accurate and very inexpensive rifles.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:15 PM

i love my savage!
Old 12-06-2006, 01:26 PM

ORIGINAL: dway87

i love my savage!
Me too, buddy, me too.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Typical Buck

i bought a 7mm-08 savage package and experienced the same thing. i couldn't be happier.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie
Scope should be upgraded ASAP, unless you want to have deer walking past at 45 yards, right at sunset, and not be able to see them through the scope.
the first year I replaced my savage package scope, but I used it on my Muzzleloader. That very thing happened to me, it was evening and a buck walked in right after sunset. I could see him with the naked eye, but when I put the scope up it had a whiteout affect in it. I couldnt see to shoot. So I replaced it real quick.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:36 PM

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie
Scope should be upgraded ASAP, unless you want to have deer walking past at 45 yards, right at sunset, and not be able to see them through the scope.
the first year I replaced my savage package scope, but I used it on my Muzzleloader. That very thing happened to me, it was evening and a buck walked in right after sunset. I could see him with the naked eye, but when I put the scope up it had a whiteout affect in it. I couldnt see to shoot. So I replaced it real quick.
That's funny, guys, I used the scope on my Savage package to do a night fire not too long ago, and it worked just fine. Oh well, I'm not an expert so I guess that doesn't matter.[:-]
Old 12-06-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

It was one of those that comes packaged with the Simmons scope, Anyway, I decided to give it a test shot to make sure everything is working so I took it to the back yard and set up a folgers coffee can and walked 25 steps (and since i'm almost 6'1" i figured this was close to 25 yards?) the bullet punched a very clean hole through both sides of the can exactly where i was aiming and the can didn't even budge. I was using the cheapest ammunition the shop had, some soft point 130 grain Federals.

I'm assuming this is a good sign?
Well it would be an extremely bad sign if you couldnt hit a coffee can at 25 yards with a new rifle. I am glad to hear that it works good though. I would definately look into a better scope though. The Simmons that comes on those will get you through the first couple of hunts, but would be better relegated to your .22 or something that wont be counted on to make a tough shot.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:37 PM

ORIGINAL: TUK101

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

It was one of those that comes packaged with the Simmons scope, Anyway, I decided to give it a test shot to make sure everything is working so I took it to the back yard and set up a folgers coffee can and walked 25 steps (and since i'm almost 6'1" i figured this was close to 25 yards?) the bullet punched a very clean hole through both sides of the can exactly where i was aiming and the can didn't even budge. I was using the cheapest ammunition the shop had, some soft point 130 grain Federals.

I'm assuming this is a good sign?
Well it would be an extremely bad sign if you couldnt hit a coffee can at 25 yards with a new rifle. I am glad to hear that it works good though. I would definately look into a better scope though. The Simmons that comes on those will get you through the first couple of hunts, but would be better relegated to your .22 or something that wont be counted on to make a tough shot.
i was actually referring to the scope being semi dialed in since it hit pretty much exactly where i put the cross hair.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:41 PM

Donnie, if you can do that, then the gun should be able to put the bullets on paper at 100 yards, and you will have less work to do in terms of getting zeroed.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats kind of what I was trying to get at. I think that just about all packaged guns nowdays come boresighted from the factory. If you couldnt hit a coffee can size target at 25 yards then I just meant that you would have some work to do, or something had been damaged by the time that you recieved the gun. I meant no disrespect.

Quick Reply: picked up a savage .270 and right out of the box...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.