Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgunners: Shot & Choke Selection ?s

Old 12-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Shotgunners: Shot & Choke Selection ?s

I done went and done it. I picked up a Franchi I-12 Sunday at Cabela's while they had them on sale. I haven't ever used a shotgun much except for dove hunting on occaision, and the shotgun I used didn't have interchangeable choke tubes. This one does, and will also shoot 2.75" and 3" shells. It has a 28" barrel if that makes any difference. Since I'm not very familiar with the use of shotguns, I thought I'd ask the brain trust for some advice.

For dove, I've always preferred #6 shot. It has a little more range, and the pellets usually pass through cleanly. Which choke will I need to use for this?

I'd also like to use it at night and in brush for predator calling. Any shot and/or choke suggestions for yotes and bobcats?

Another use I'd like to try it for is hogs. I usually run across the hogs in thick/brushy stuff, or at night, and most shots are within 20 yards. I've killed off most of the larger hogs, but there is still a group of about 12-16 60-75 pounders I see every now and then. I don't have a rifled barrel or choke. I'd like to use a slug in the chamber, followed with buckshot for the moving targets. Can I do this? And should I be using a particular choke?

Also, any advice on brands of slugs/buckshot? Or is one brand as good as the next?
Old 12-05-2006, 02:12 PM

Default RE: Shotgunners: Shot & Choke Selection ?s

I would use a modified choke, and try different brands of slugs/buckshot to see which shoots best in your gun.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:45 PM

for doves i would use improved cylinder or modified chokes. for yotes and bobcats i would use a turkey chokeand size BB, BBB, T, 1, or 2. for hogs i would also use turkey choke and size BB, BBB, or T. yes, you can definietly do that with your gun. i would definietely reccomend Remington Slugger Rifled Slugs. they are great for smoothbores. for that slug i would use skeet or improved cylinder chokes for these are the most open chokes. and for buckshot i would also use with those chokes unless it's long range. 00 or 000 ought buckshot is what i would use for size. ONLY USE LEAD RIFLED SLUGS FOR YOUR GUN. IF YOU DON'T YOUCAN DAMAGE YOUR BARREL. pattern your gun at 20 yards and see which choke and different brands and sizes of buckshot do better. do the same with the rifled lead slugs and see which shoots most accurate at 20 yards. good luck
Old 12-05-2006, 08:14 PM

Most of the turkey chokes I have seen recommend lead shot only, and specify not using a shot size any bigger than #4.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:47 PM

For yotes number 4 buckshot does the trick out to 50 yards or so. Try modified and IC chokes....each gun is different

For hogs any "rifled slug" or "foster slug" (same thing) will do fine. I'd follow with 00 buckshot...that's preference only.

Doves, if size 6 is your likeing than go for it. I use 7.5 and know some guys will even use 8s. Choke selection around home depends on the season and which fields you hunt. Take your IC and Mod chokes. I usually end up using Mod. but sometimes it seems like them little buggers are trying to 'barnyard' you and you need the most open choke you can get. Check out shotgunworld.com if you want to visit a site much like this one...only dedicated solely to shotgun and shotgun hunting. Like this site, there are some old-timers flat out know their stuff.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

For doves, I would use a modified for the later season, when the doves get a little flighty. Early season I would use Imp Cyl.

For your yotes, I would use a full choke, with lead #4 buck. Or, if you want to get modern and all that, use a modified choke with some of the Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote", in T shot. Just make sure you don't use a choke tighter than Mod for any hard shot (steel, hevi shot) unless the tube specifically says it is rated or approved for hard shot.

For hogs, I would use an Imp Cyl tube (your manual will tell you not to shoot slugs through anything tighter). Make sure you shoot "rifled" slugs out of your smooth bore. Sounds backwards, but thats what you need to do. For your two back-up buckshot, I would go with either #1 or 00, but that #4 you may use on yotes will work just fine as well.
Old 12-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I noticed some of that Hevi-Shot Coyote at Cabela's. I may try it.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion on the "rifled" slugs. I wasn't sure if the slugs were meant to give rifled performance out of a smooth bore or if theywere meant for use in a rifled barrel.