Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need info on possible new deer gun!

Old 11-28-2006, 09:56 PM

Default Need info on possible new deer gun!

So ive been lookin and shopping around for a good deer gun. Ive got a 30.06 for elk and moose but when i go out for just deer im hunting the plains so i want a faster, straighter shooting gun that wont do much damage to the animal which i heard that the .270 is a good gun for. Now is this true?

If so i have been looking and im likeing the looks of the Browning A-Bolt II Eclipse Hunter with BOSS. Wondering of any one has experience with this gun and if it is a good choice, also wondering if the BOSS feature really does help with the accuracy and recoil. Thanks for any info.

Old 11-28-2006, 10:27 PM

Default RE: Need info on possible new deer gun!

[align=left]I own an A-Bolt Medallion in .270, with the Boss. The Boss does help to dial in the harmonics of the barrel, but the porting makes it very harsh and abusive to the ears. One year I was hunting with my Remington, and missed a shot on a nice buck. I could not believe it, so I left immediately and went home. I fired a couple of shots at the target in my field, and somehow my zero had gotten screwed. So I threw the gun back into the cabinet, and grabbed the A-Bolt. I took it out side, and without hearing protection ( for the first time ), I fired a couple of shots to check its zero. I could not hear for about 4 hours. All I heard was a really high pitched tone in my ears, ( indicative of hearing damage ). My hearing came back, but the next move was to go buy a BOSS CR ( conventional recoil ), which works the same on harmonics, but has no porting so the report is normal.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]On a .270, That's what I would go for if I wanted the boss on a new rifle. The recoil on a .270 is not that bad, and your hearing is too important.[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]Also, the Eclipse is an A-Bolt with a different stock. I love my gun, and I really like the Eclipse stock, so I would go for one, but that is entirely up to you and what you think of it.[/align][align=left][/align]
Old 11-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the BOSS, got to borrow a buddy's model 70 30-06 w/the boss brake for a weekend once. Recoil was very light. You use the provided chart to dial in the BOSS setting to match the ammo you are using, and bingo! she shoots nice and tight.
The only downsides to the BOSS brake are
1. the brake model was very LOUD. I wouldn't want to shoot one without really good hearing protection.
2. I handload anyhow, so the BOSS isn't really necessary to for me to tune a load to a rifle.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I wouldnt pay the extra for the Boss on a 270 for the above mentioned reasons. I think they work and are a long proven great idea but that gun will shoot great without any extra help.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just stick with your 30-06 & shoot 150-grain bullets.

If you want a deer only rifle the 270-winchester is a great choice.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

the 30.06 will do the job just fine for any of the forementioned animals. I too would dump the BOSS. WAY WAY to loud. It can damage hearing in just one shot.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

The Browning A-Bolt II series of rifles are fine guns. The BOSS works as claimed but at the price of increased muzzle noise. You can however buy the CR replacement for the ported portion of the BOSS system. I wouldn't spend the money to own a 270 if I already had a 30-06. If you want to make the 06 flatter shooting go with 150 gr. bullets and look the the Hornady Light Magnum loading in that range. There truly isn't much difference in the 06 with 150 gr. bullets and the 270 with 130 gr. bullets when you choose bullets with the same construction. Such as a ballistic tip versus a ballistic tip. No deer in the world will know the difference between being hit with either round.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:12 AM

Thanks for the info guys. The main reason i want a gun just for deer not just downsize the grain of bullet in my gun is cause when i go for deer i do use 150 grain Spire Tip Boat Tails but then sometimes the next day im going for moose or elk and i switch over to 180grain Partitions and i either dont have the time or sunlight to re sight my gun in according to the bullet or i just down right forget too so thats why i want a gun just for the deer.But thanks for the info and by the sounds of it i may go with the .270 or even .243 but i do value my hearing so i think ill pass on the BOSS.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you're choice of gun is fine, Browning, Remington, and Tikka are the best rifles on the market.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

My family and I have been shooting the .270 for years. Flat shooting, a bit lighter recoil than an .06 and it is even capable of taking large game. But for a deer only round, a 130gr. spire tip boat tail works great, or if you are a box ammo guy a Core lokt or power point do just fine. We took 2 deer this year with the .270 and there was hardly any meat gone to waste, and both where shot at under 50 yards. Which to me is a testement to how effective the .270 bullet is even at close range. I like to kill my deer, not blow them up. If you are in fact looking at a long range, low damage round then the .243 would be another good choice.

Quick Reply: Need info on possible new deer gun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.