Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need info on possible new deer gun!

Old 12-01-2006, 03:30 AM
Spike

Default RE: Need info on possible new deer gun!

270 winchester model 70
Old 12-01-2006, 02:04 PM

Default RE: Need info on possible new deer gun!

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

For a deer cartridge the 25-06 is very hard to beat.On deer sized game,it will be just as effective as a 270win,but it also makes a good cartridge for coyote or other varmints.
x3

BTW I have never found that a 270 did less damage then a 3006 or 7mm rem mag for that matter. Shot placement and bullet construction are the leaders in this department. I still own a 270 win in a browning but my 7mm rem mag see's all the CF action lopers to moose no problems. I do switch ammo for deerseason butrarily combo hunt. If I doI'll go with the bullet designed for the larger game. My choice for this the Barnes TSX, does very little meat damage even if the shoulders are hit. Might be something to consider for your 06'???

As to the BOSS, no thanks for reason's already mentioned. As to the Eclipse not really a humping it on the prairie's rifle as they are heavy.
Nothing wrong with 270 but seeing you already own a 3006 they are pretty close in terms of deer medicine. Personally I don't like the .243 for canadian deer,I say pass!

I dont know too much about the 25-06 so im just curious is it good at long distances such as up to 300-400yds or is that pushing it with the 25-06?

As for the humping it along the plains where i hunt all i do is walk the edge of coulee's and i dont even bring a back pack i just have a fanny pack type thing that just carries the vitals so out there a lil extra weight to the gun wouldnt really bother me besides i checked the weight on the Eclipse and it only weighs 8lbs and my 30.06 weighs 10lbs so it wouldnt bother me at all.