Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger 10/22 Custom Stock/Barrel ??

Old 11-28-2006, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Ruger 10/22 Custom Stock/Barrel ??

Has anyone put on aftermarket stocks/barrel on a Ruger 10/22

I am just wondering how it all works out-if any stock model ruger 10/22 will work for the "donor action" needed to complete a barrel and stock swap?

Does anyone have experience with this?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger 10/22 Custom Stock/Barrel ??

Try www.rimfirecentral.com for all the info you need on 10/22s.

Ron
Old 11-28-2006, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you much!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

A better question would be-has anyone that owns a 10-22 NOT done anything to it?

Old 12-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good friend of mine put up the money for a tax stamp and built an integrated silencer into a volquartsen barrel. His is absolutely unreal.

I have a 77/22 that didn't shoot worth a lick from the factory. While you can find every imaginable upgrade for 10/22 there were only a sprinkling of 77/22 barrels available. I put on a Volquartsen and have been impressed. The 77 and the 10 are a little bit different, and barrels are not interchangeable. As far as changing the barrel goes, its simple. Two screws under the action and a twist. All it takes. I had to polish the shelf on my receiver a bit to make it fit. Mine went from shooting 1.5" fifty yard groups to shooting on ragged hole the size of a pencil eraser all day long. Have put an entire 50 round box through that one .25 cal hole (hey, its not perfect and neither am I). Certainly better than it was from the factory.

I used my same stock (wood) and just hollowed out the barrel channel to accomodate the larger bull barrel. Also bedded the action and floated the barrel. Simple to do, and the difference was amazing.
Old 12-02-2006, 01:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tricking out the 10-22? Why? I do not get it? I am not knocking anybody for doing anything-I know I have done alot of silly things. And I have wasted alot of money doing these silly things. But the 10-22 really gets me. Why not just buy a quality rifle to start with? I am not bringing this up to start an argument, and I am definitely not trying to ruffle any feathers. I just do not understand? You can sink the price of a Kimber into a 10-22, and you still have a 10-22. Tom.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Tricking out the 10-22? Why? I do not get it? I am not knocking anybody for doing anything-I know I have done alot of silly things. And I have wasted alot of money doing these silly things. But the 10-22 really gets me. Why not just buy a quality rifle to start with? I am not bringing this up to start an argument, and I am definitely not trying to ruffle any feathers. I just do not understand? You can sink the price of a Kimber into a 10-22, and you still have a 10-22. Tom.

are you trying to say...."no matter how much you polish a turd, it's still a turd?"
Old 12-02-2006, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why? Sometimes you can't always buy exactly as you want. Sometimes as a hobby you enjoy building them up differntly. Sometimes just so ppl will ask "why?". .
Why stop at a Kimber? Why not go all out and get into the serious realm of .22 guns with the realy nice European match guns?
Old 12-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not call the 10-22 a turd. I am not wanting to be inflammatory. It is what it is. It is a fairly accurate, light weight, fast handling, inexpensive 22 rifle. If a person is customozing it as a hobby gun, then I fully understand that. But people are going way overboard with it. They are making it into a full fledged target rifle, that is why I said Why? I suggest the Kimber because it is AMERICAN made. And I prefer it over the European guns. Especially since it is AMERICAN made. Tom.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

If one's gonna take the time to build one for a hobby project, why not make it as they wish, even if that does include into a high dollar target gun? I've built 4 now and have at least 4 more planned. Why? becasueI enjoy building them and making each different. I also prefer to have an accurate one rather than spend time simply makinga so-so accurate plinker. Just like your beloved Kimbers, the 10/22 is all American made as are all the parts I choose to use in building them. (which is more than can be said for the so-called "American" automobile companies products) I'm also guessing there's mor to it than just making them for fun. Seems to me, I see very few, if any kimbers on the lines at .22 shoots. Sportsman Challenge...vast majority were built 10/22's. WhY is that? perhaps becasue of their accuracy and tunabilty to shoot s well as they do.
I'm not knocking Kimbers. I'm sure they're very nice firearms. Personally, I like the SVT but were I to spend the $ on a target bolt gun, I'd easily head to a European manufacturer or two with far more proven and widely respected attention to their accuracy.
Just like in automobiles...why choose a super powerful harger or the like when a 4 cyl VW will get you there just as easily.Personal preferecne. To each their own.

For a little more than a brand new Kimber, here's my latest "Why?"

Quick Reply: Ruger 10/22 Custom Stock/Barrel ??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.