Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Worth the extra bucks?

Old 11-28-2006, 03:17 AM

Default Worth the extra bucks?

Other than resistance to the elements, what am I getting out of a stainless barrel? All my guns are stainless, however I am considering a blued barrel on my next rifle just because of the price difference 439.99 vs. 739.99.

(If it matters the rifle will be a remington 700).

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:48 AM

Default RE: Worth the extra bucks?

i have not had good experiences with stainless. If you are live or hunt in a high corrosion enviroment then yes it is worth it. other than that go with blue.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is a huge price difference. Usually the difference is around $100. Thats been my expience anyway. All my guns are stainless and I'm going to keep it that way.

Tom
Old 11-28-2006, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stainless barrels will rust just like blued ones will. Bottom line is if you like the look and want to pay the money, then by all means. I have one stainless and three blued. I live in the land of rust, and have never had a problem on any of them.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

That's quite a price difference between the two. More so than what I normally see. Unless you hunt frequently in harsh conditions for extended periods, stainless really isn't necessary. Keep your gun clean and oiled on a very regular basis and rust will not be an issue.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:26 AM

ORIGINAL: AKHunter18

Other than resistance to the elements, what am I getting out of a stainless barrel? All my guns are stainless, however I am considering a blued barrel on my next rifle just because of the price difference 439.99 vs. 739.99.

(If it matters the rifle will be a remington 700).

Thanks.

I would check those prices again. I have looked at and bought stainless rifles , and blues rifles, and I have never seen a 300.00 price difference in a same gun situation, with the only exception being one is stainless.

Also, I have not seen a stainless rem. 700 that cost 739.00, short of a custom or speciality rifle. I would seriously check the price again, and then check some other places. Even on a collector type gun I am about to buy, the difference for stainless is only 100 - 150.00. So for your situation, I just can't see it. And yes, the gun I am buying is a Remington, Stainless , Laminate, and I am getting that gun for about 625.00.

God Bless
Old 11-28-2006, 12:07 PM

AKHunter18,

Make sure you're comparing apples to apples. Remington makes two versions of the 700 SPS - one is stainless and the other is not. The price difference is less than $100, $439 and $499, if I remember correctly. The $769 one is the XCR, which has a special anti-corrosion coating and a nicer stock.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:26 PM

The prices are correct between the two that im looking at. The sps and the xcr are the two im comparing. (I sell guns as my part time college job.) I have only owned stainless guns all of which have beenremington model 700's or 7's. I just want to make sure that im not sacrificing anything other than corrosion resistance (ie. accuracy, barrel life, etc.).Thanks for the info.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're comparing two different rifles. The xcr is not just an sps with a stainless barrel. Check the specs of the two before you decide. It's not just the difference between stainless or not.

That being said, I would not spend too much money on corrosion resistance unless you are on a coast, working on a boat, or using a boat to get to and from hunting locations. And then, nickel is better than stainless.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Worth the extra bucks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.