Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Ruger Mini - 14

Old 11-28-2006, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ruger Mini - 14

thee only way i'd have an mini 14, is if ya gave me one.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

the mini-14 is nothing but reliable yes it lacks accuracy but really isnt much wourse then most semi auto rifles out there, except the AR's but I cant think of too many semi auto rifles out there that will hold a candle to an AR except maybe a M1A or a HK 91. A way to look at it is expect 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards with rifles like browning BAR's or the Remington 7400 which is more then exceptional accuracy for a hunting rifle and is the high end of accuracy for a semi auto. Then you have the mini-14 which you can expect 3 to 4 inch groups which is really not all that bad considering there are semi autos out there that are much wourse in accuracy for instance the AK-47, with an AK I wouldnt expect better than 6 inch groups at 100 yards same with a M-1 carbine they dont shoot worth a darn either the best Ive ever done at 100 yards was about a 8 inch group if it actually grouped at all and if the rounds actually hit paper. the only others I have experience with which would be about the same as a mini-14 in accuracy would be SKS's and dragunov's. If you are looking for a tack driver then a semi auto isnt what you want you would be better off with a bolt action but if you can accept 3 to 4 inch groups then go for it. heres a picture of a target I shot several months ago.

Old 11-29-2006, 01:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: North Texan

its reputation as a solid ranch gun
They are really meant to be more of a ranch gun.
Why does everyone call the Mini-14 a ranch gun? I ranch, I know lots of ranchers, and we all carry bolts or single shots.

i could be wrong but....Ruger calls the Mini a "ranch" rifle. mine is considered the "ranch" rifle aswell. i dunno if it's just because it is stainless or what.
Old 11-29-2006, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: CamoCop

ORIGINAL: North Texan

Why does everyone call the Mini-14 a ranch gun? I ranch, I know lots of ranchers, and we all carry bolts or single shots.

i could be wrong but....Ruger calls the Mini a "ranch" rifle. mine is considered the "ranch" rifle aswell. i dunno if it's just because it is stainless or what.
the latest mini-14 is called the mini-14 ranch rifle, but before now they made two types the 'Standard' and the 'Ranch rifle'. on my last post you can see a pic of my mini-14 it is the 'standard' Version. the difference between a ranch and a standard is the reciever the ranch has lugs on top of the receiver that accept ruger scope rings and a whimpy flip up rear aperture sight that is adjustable for elevation and only drift adjustable for windage. the standard has a beafed up rear aperture sight that is adjustable for both windage and elevation with turn knobs but does not have the lugs that accept ruger rings. you can see in my picture im using a B-square mini-14 scope mount which is about the best option asfar as using a scope on a standard. the new mini-14 ranch is kind of a hybrid of the two versions it has the beafed up rear ghost ring sight plus the lugs that accept ruger rings I guess with the new configuration ruger didnt see it being neccisary to have two different models.

heres a picture that may help distinguish the mini-14 versions

Old 11-29-2006, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanx for the clarification, i wasn't sure
Old 11-29-2006, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the clarification, HDW. Funny how the Ruger labels a model ofthe mini-14 the "ranch" model, and it magically gains:

Old 11-29-2006, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

The "ranch" models also eject out the side so the casings don't hit the scope.