Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Recovered core-lokt.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Recovered core-lokt.

Never had a problem using Core-Lokts or Winchester Power Points. I cannot see the point in paying more for ammo than neccessary when the longest shots that we take around here is only about 120 yards.
I agree. I have never had a deer survive a cor-lokt, interlockor a power point ifI kept up my end of the deal. I have had people online chastise me from time to time saying things like, "With all that we spend on hunting why skimp on the cheapest aspect of hunting, your bullets?" My answer, when they stop working then I'll start buying the more expensive bullets. Quite frankly I think that they have gotten some of these premum bullets too tough for your average deer. My buddy shot a doe 40 yards away with a Barnes x-bullet out of a 7mm mag last year. Man do they rave about those bulletsat some of the online websites dominated bythe self proclamed shooting elite. Places like 24hourcampfire.com. That doe ran a 100 yards into a thicket after being shot right behind the shoulder. It took him hours to find her because there was no blood trail from the caliber sized entrance hole and the virtually same sized exit hole. Now you tell me how that's better bulletperformance than a cor-lokt, interlock, or power point? Is that performance worth paying more than twice as muchmoney per box of shells? I don't think so and neither does my buddy who has since went back to cor-lokts.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dangit you guys arent giving me any reason to reload here..lol. I have boxes of Interlocks and Solid bases that I have been dying to try out on deer but I cant make the time to load em up and I really dunno if I could make em group any better or kill any deader rthan these cheap factory loads. Only thing I can see is a little higher bc and maybe a slightly flatter trajectory. Even though mostof my shots are inside a 100 yards. The 300-400 yard shots are still common and can be taken if you wish. Those core-lokts killed at ranged distances from 7-322 yards last week. I hunt on logged property (thick) but being in WV you can shoot ridge to ridge and the neighbor's field almost always has a deer in it sometime during the week. Takes a versatile gun to cover all of it.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

Found the core-lokt I killed a decent 8 pointer with last Monday while butchering the deer today. It was a 7 yard shot almost head on that impacted between the front shoulder and the neck. Bullet was recovered about an 1/8 inch below the surface at the back of the ham. Retained weight was 117 grains..if the small piece of the jacket that were found beside the bullet are counted retained goes to 123 grains. Bullet was a perfect mushroom. Fired from a 7-08 it began life as a 140 grain. It went through some large bone and travelled the length of the deer held together and dropped the deer within 15 yards. Pretty darned good performance for a "junk-lokt" Of all the deer I killed last week the only thing that they all had in common on bullet performance was the fact that all deer involved are now in the freezer

Is this about the norm for what everyone else is getting?
You know I used to kill dozens of deer with coreloks, but for some reason, I guess reloading, I quit using them. They were never terribly accurate, but price was right and only ammo you can get in Southern WV at the time I lived there.

Since reloading, I have yet to buy any to try to reload. We all fall victim to the next best thing in hunting stuff. Probably another one of them things.

Old 11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

They still sell them nearly everywhere here BC WV has to be the only place I ever seen where a convienence store has an ammo rack
Old 11-28-2006, 12:02 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Doe Dumper

They still sell them nearly everywhere here BC WV has to be the only place I ever seen where a convienence store has an ammo rack
Yea, but they want like 24 dollars for a box of 270win. Hey, you guys got that fancy walmart in Logan. Should have it all.

I was in Petersburg, WV, doing some squirrel hunting, and blasted away a whole box. I ran down to the mom and pop gas station and bought some high brass no5. Holy cow, they were twice the price. But I got my ammo, and back to shooting the tree rats.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wal-Mart has had the core-lokts most of the fall for 12-15 a box for the popular calibers. 243, 270, 30-06, 30-30, 308. Ammo sure has went up though. They were selling the Fed Classic for 9.99 a box but it didnt last long. I probably bought 15 boxes of that altogether myself..lol. Theres 2 Wal-Marts in Beckley one in Welch (no kidding) and that one in Logan. You are right though...average prices are over $20. Convienence matters though sometimes.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 PM

Up in Wetzel County the ol' corelocks are ones that you can find anywhere you please too, except of course for my 7mm-08 the WalMarts only carries those danged Winchester PowerPoints. Terrible haha
I've had great success with the corelocks, I recovered one from my 7mm08 last year that hit right between the hams through the spine and went the length of the body and was under the skin by the ribs. Perfect mushroom.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:04 PM
DM

Its laying here on the desk but Im not real sure how to get it on there without a digital camera and floppy drive. If I can use someone elses I may be able to do it.
I've had pretty good luck putting bullets on a flat bed scanner, and scanning the bullets into my puter... Practise with it untill you learn how to make them look pretty good...

DM
Old 11-28-2006, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shepdog thats where I do all my hunting at. Jacksonburg area. Been hunting in Wetzel County since 1987...lol.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:49 PM

Man, that's a trip from Baileysville, I'm from the "big city" up there but I've done some runnin around out that way, I'm gettin ready to marry a girl from ol Pine Grove Valley.

Quick Reply: Recovered core-lokt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.