Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Caliber Decision

Old 11-22-2006, 04:17 PM

Default New Caliber Decision

Recently, to my horror,I have developed a flinch when shooting my .270. I shoot a lot during the off season with rimfires and my .223 and have no problem. Part of the problem is being recoil shy and part of it is using a rifle with a set trigger, which has given me bad trigger control and a tendency to "slap" the trigger when its on target. Haven't missed a deer in almost ten years, then missed two and a coyote this year before finally getting lucky on a doe!

Thinking about using a new caliber next year with a little less recoil. Wouldn't really mind the .243 but its just seems a little lighter than I'd like to go. What's the recoil difference between the .270 and the .25-06 in a standard bolt action (remington, ruger, winchester, etc.)?? Been considering the 25-06 but any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New Caliber Decision

I would try to work on fixing the flinching problem first. There is not much difference between the 270 and the 25-06 when you have a flinch.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:32 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Unless your body has deteriorated to where you mustseek out fly weight recoil rifles I would focus on fixing the problemrather than attempting to buy ones way away from it.

I have set triggers on two CZ rifles [a 416 Rigby and a 458 Lott (3 3/4 ozregular and 1 oz on set)]and wouldn't "slap" either oneof them.... it is just a light squeeze that don't take very long to get results and I only use it at the range for sighting in or checking a sight in.

Barring health problems, this is a mental problem, not a "gun" problem.
During the summer when you are "shooting a lot during the off season" why not work the 270 into the mix? There are a whole set of remedial tactics available.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:43 PM

Thank you for replies. While I know the problem needs to be "fixed", that will be done much easier with a lighter recoiling rifle.....
Old 11-22-2006, 04:50 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

If you insist.
BTW, what specifically, are you going to do to prevent the disease from following you to a 243 or 25-06?
Plenty of blast on both of those....
Do you know what the fix is?
A 270isn't a big (or even middle of the road) kicker and you already have a .223 which could play a big time role in any sort of "fix."

Is your 2006 Big Game Season over or still going?
Old 11-22-2006, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

6.5 x 55. Plenty of poke even downrange, and is a delight to shoot recoil-wise. As long as your rifle is fitted to you properly it is not very much more than a .243 in the recoil dept, but does offer a bit more bullet wieght and effectiveness.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

The 7MM-08 has a good deal less recoil than the 270 as does the 6.5x55, 260, and 25-06. Where the 270 has about 16.5 lbs recoil, the others I listed have about 12 lbs or a little less. In my search for a gun with good down range power and limited recoil, the 7mm-08 won the contest follwed closely by the 6.5x55. The 6.5 has the least recoil but the 7mm-08 delivers a little more energy and has a little heavier bullets available.

This said, a poor trigger seems to me to be one of the biggest causes of flinching. However if shooting a caliber is no longer fun, then why stay with it.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: EKM

If you insist.
BTW, what specifically, are you going to do to prevent the disease from following you to a 243 or 25-06?
Plenty of blast on both of those....
Do you know what the fix is?
A 270isn't a big (or even middle of the road) kicker and you already have a .223 which could play a big time role in any sort of "fix."

Is your 2006 Big Game Season over or still going?
I'm going to dry fire quite a bit. I do some as it is, but try to get in more time dry firing. That and much more shooting with live ammo. I fully understand that the .270 is not a heavy kicker. Just take my word for it, I'm not a newbie to rifles... I just think a rifle that is more comfortable to shoot would be easier to practice with. Got one more day to hunt, then on to next year.

JamesB, 7mm-08 sounds like an excellent idea. What brand of rifle are you using? Thought about getting a model seven or ruger compact in 7-08, should make a good hunting package.
Old 11-22-2006, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: EKM
Barring health problems, this is a mental problem, not a "gun" problem.
Exactly. I can't imagine any of these guns having enough recoil to give you problems. Wearear muffs over ear plugs to cut out as much noise as possible. Concentrate on every single shot.Don't just go out and blast away. Have someone else load your gun and every few shots leave it empty. Also, may want to fold up a dish towel or something to use as a little more padding.

Personally, I don't think there is any magic here. You have to make up your mind that you will get rid of the bad habits and overcome the "mental problem".
Old 11-22-2006, 06:16 PM

I understand that this is mental and not a gun problem. I know there is no "magic gun" thats gonna put every shot in the bullseye. I JUST WANT A NEW RIFLE AND SOME CALIBER SUGGESTIONS, thanks for the tips anyway.

Quick Reply: New Caliber Decision

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.