Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 police

Old 11-20-2006, 01:51 PM

Default Remington 700 police

Well, this is a funny one but here goes:

I want to buy the above model in 300win mag. The catalog number is: 5718 or could be 25718. I searched on internet to see a picture of it and could not find any and it is not listed or shown in the Remington 2006 catalog. But it exists because my local firearms dealer says that his supplier has one, buthe (the supplier) can not give a good description of it: the gun is way up in his stock room and he doesn't seem interested in getting it down unless I buy it. Can you imagine.It's not a rifle that they sell often, so nobody seems to know much about it.Well anyway, here's what I hope it looks like:

- 26" carbon steel heavy barrel, not stainless steel,with a muzzle o.d. of around .80, not flutted
- no sights
- fiberglass composite stock
- weighing around 9 pounds
- damn good rifle for long ranges

Can anybody confirm this. Other comments would also be appreciated.

Thank's guys.

Please don't ask any questions on the seller or supplier. I just want to buy the thing and get it over with.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:12 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Remington 700 police

I have had two. I myself do not like them. Funny its taken two 700P's to finally convince myself, I do not like the huge palm swell. In fact, not sure if I really love the H-S stock. First one 300RUM had the roughest barrel you could imagine. Had it rebarreled with a Krieger, then didn't like the stock, so I sold it and got a different H-S stock. This is the only remington trigger, I couldn't get all the creep out of. So I replaced the trigger. Finally, it was a gun I was proud of that shot subMOA at even 500 yards. Second one didn't last long. It was a 308win, shot ok, but found a different girl to buy. At 600 rounds, I was lucky to get 7" groups. Another thing, this 308, didn't appear to be centered nicely in the stock forarm. In other words wasn't freefloated evenly.

Do yourself a favor, look up FN SPR. Finest tactical long range gun you can buy without having one built. I have shot 50 rounds one day, and there was almost no copper fouling with the chrome linedbarrel.The 700P's I had, I would have to spend 1 hour just pulling out the copper after a heavy long range shooting session. Also the FN carries a guarantee, and let me tell you, they honor it. My buddy has a 308. He was having trouble getting coreloks shooting out of it. Well, he called the place wehre they are made in Fredericksburg, VA, and they told him to run down. He went down (about an hour drive) and the head developer, actually a marine himself, sat down with him and shot some blackhills and bam, it was driving tacks sub.5MOA. Told him no coreloks. This guy has a test rifle, he has shot a documented 16000 rounds thru, and still subMOA.

Old 11-20-2006, 02:14 PM
bigcountry

Here's some info for ya.

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700p.htm

Old 11-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: pierrecham

Well, this is a funny one but here goes:

I want to buy the above model in 300win mag. The catalog number is: 5718 or could be 25718. I searched on internet to see a picture of it and could not find any and it is not listed or shown in the Remington 2006 catalog. But it exists because my local firearms dealer says that his supplier has one, buthe (the supplier) can not give a good description of it: the gun is way up in his stock room and he doesn't seem interested in getting it down unless I buy it. Can you imagine.It's not a rifle that they sell often, so nobody seems to know much about it.Well anyway, here's what I hope it looks like:

- 26" carbon steel heavy barrel, not stainless steel,with a muzzle o.d. of around .80, not flutted
- no sights
- fiberglass composite stock
- weighing around 9 pounds
- damn good rifle for long ranges

Can anybody confirm this. Other comments would also be appreciated.

Thank's guys.

Please don't ask any questions on the seller or supplier. I just want to buy the thing and get it over with.
The Remington 700p Light Tactical Rifle is a superb long range gun that is much more portable has a slimmer HS Precision stock. If you search around you will see the great reports. I regularly get 0.6" groups at 200 yards with factory ammo.The only knock would be the caliber choice. They only offer .223, .308 and .300 RSAUM which is a superb cartridge but somewhat bastardized.

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/700pltr.htm

http://www.clcweb.net/Shooting/Tactical_Shooting/Remington_M700_LTR/remington_m700_ltr.html

http://www.snipercentral.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7015

I'm not going to diss on anyone's rifle it sounds like bigcountry really has a shooter but when I was looking for a similar rifle I also considered the FN SPR and PBR but they were much too heavyfor my purposes. Also, there is a reason why the majority of the sucessful sniper/tactical designs are based on the 700 action.

For $800 you won't find another gun that shoots as well.It's more accurate than guns three times it's cost. Also, I don't think that there is any way it weight 9 lbs empty. My LTR certainly doesn't weight 7.5 lbs empty as it says on the site.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:10 PM
bigcountry

I will ahve to agree, the FN is a brute to carry. But there's a reason why FBI picked that and H-S.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I will ahve to agree, the FN is a brute to carry. But there's a reason why FBI picked that and H-S.
What were those reasons? I certainly don't see anything that makes the FN's worth the extra cost do you? Aside from lack of calibers available in the LTR.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:31 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: BrutalAttack

What were those reasons? I certainly don't see anything that makes the FN's worth the extra cost do you? Aside from lack of calibers available in the LTR.
Oh goodness, world of difference. Havn't seen 700P yet where the trigger didn't need to be adjusted. Accuracy is so-so with the 700P's I have had. Same old typical hammer forged crap they all push out. No fouling, I mean no fouling with the chrome lined FN barrel. FN's mcmillian stock is far superior to the cheaper H-S stocks. FN is custom bedded for that action. H-S fits all, thats the reason I notice the uneven channel.Parkerizing sucks on my 700P. My bolt is off color compared to therest.I rarely see a good blue job on remingtons these days. The SPR isprettyawesome.

Lastly for me, safety of a mod 70 action is far superior over a remington 2 position.I just like the mod 70 action much more. Even though I currently have half dozen 700's. I like 700's but don't hold a handle to a fine sako75 action or model 70. Lastly, my biggest peave against 700, is that cheap C-ring extractor. There's a reason most snipers with 700 change that crap out for a sako type.

The one advantage of a 700action is case rupture.

But then again, with the FN,your comparing a porcshe to a mustang GT. And price is much more hefty also.

Old 11-20-2006, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh goodness, world of difference. Havn't seen 700P yet where the trigger didn't need to be adjusted. Accuracy is so-so with the 700P's I have had. Same old typical hammer forged crap they all push out. No fouling, I mean no fouling with the chrome lined FN barrel. FN's mcmillian stock is far superior to the cheaper H-S stocks. FN is custom bedded for that action. H-S fits all, thats the reason I notice the uneven channel.Parkerizing sucks on my 700P. My bolt is off color compared to therest.I rarely see a good blue job on remingtons these days. The SPR isprettyawesome.

Lastly for me, safety of a mod 70 action is far superior over a remington 2 position.I just like the mod 70 action much more. Even though I currently have half dozen 700's. I like 700's but don't hold a handle to a fine sako75 action or model 70. Lastly, my biggest peave against 700, is that cheap C-ring extractor. There's a reason most snipers with 700 change that crap out for a sako type.

The one advantage of a 700action is case rupture.

But then again, with the FN,your comparing a porcshe to a mustang GT. And price is much more hefty also.
Well accuracy is anything but so-so unless I and the several other people who have published reports just happened to get a super rifle.

I guess a chrome-lined barrel would defintely be nice but not necessary. I don't really know the difference between a hammer forged barrel and whatever else. It doesn't really seem to make a difference in accuracy that is for sure.

I hate the Mcmillian stock on the FN. Too blocky,too heavy and don't fit me. I prefer slimmer sporter type stocks but that isn't a fair comparison they are two different types of stocks.

My barrel channel isn't uneven and as long as it's accurate I'm fine with it.

My LTR isn't parkerized it's a phosphate finish which I understood wasn't the same. Of course the bolt is going to be a different color, it's blued not phosphate! It wouldn't be very smooth with tha finish on it lol. Mine on the LTR is super tough. I just got home fromdragging it all over the place through the brush,scraping rocks etc and it doesn't have a singlemark on it. I'm pretty impressed.

As far as trigger that is a personal preference. Almost every factory rifle needs a trigger adjustment. I guess yours just happened to be right for you.

Long ago I went away from the phoney 3 position safety. I much prefer the positive feel and simplicity of the Remington safety. Again, that's personal preference, both do the job.

Some people claim the Remington extractor is weak. Not every case needs, or even benefits from a heavy claw extractor. Mine shaves brass which is plenty good enough for me. Were I shooting a 416 or other larger case I might want a stronger extractor.

Course my gun is new production so everything might not be exactly the same as the things you don't like on yours.

One thing i don't understand is why the Remingtons have a flush crown instead of a target crown. Oh well it certainly doesn't hamper accuracy. What crown does the FN have?
Old 11-20-2006, 05:24 PM
bigcountry

What can I say. I have only had two, and totally customized another, and actually have compared two. But, it definatly sounds like your type of gun.

Old 11-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love the 700P.

Thing you have to remeber is that while a ton of sniper rigs are built off the 700, almost none of them are going to just leave it alone. Military, law enforcement, whatever. They all do more work to it when they get it. Trigger work especially. Stocks are either replaced or modified for the specific person they are going to.

This is true of any make of rifle. Any agency who gets one will do a lot of custom work to it. Most even load their own ammo.

Quick Reply: Remington 700 police

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.