Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Caribou cartridge

Old 11-25-2006, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Caribou cartridge

I'm being redundant, but these forums are here for us to state our opinions, so here's mine...Unfortunately I can't afford to hunt caribou every year, but I've managed to hunt them a few times and have shot 11 of them and have seen probably another 25 or 30 of them shot by my hunting partners..They're no harder to kill than a deer...

All three chamberings would work fine for caribou...With the .243 I would want a stoutly constructed bullet, but for any chambering from the .257 Roberts on up would work fine with any standard cup/core bullet designed for deer sized game..

The .338 would will work fine, and makes good sense if you are hunting someplace where you might also be shooting larger game like moose or grizzly..However you don't need the punch of a .338 to cleanly kill a caribou..It's kinda like swatting a fly with a baseball bat...

A flat trajectory is a plus... Shots can be long..In my opinion chamberings in the .270, .280, 7mm mag range are about perfect...I shot most of my caribou with my .280 and 140 ballistic tips...Worked great...

Of the three chamberings you listed, I'd say the .308 with 150 or 165 grain bullets would be the best tool for the job...
Old 11-26-2006, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Caribou cartridge

ORIGINAL: Raptor 1

I'm in the early stages of booking a Caribou hunt in Canada next fall. I current have rifles in 338 wm, 308, and 243. I can shoot them all very well.My question is, what one should I use. Any suggestions would be appreciated on rifle to use, and bullet suggestion would also help. I will be reloading my own ammo for the hunt...

R1
Depends on where you hunt. If you are going where there are grizzly bears, take the .338. The .338 will do well for caribou in any case, but if there are no dangerous animals around the .308 is plenty!