Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

nef 410?

Old 11-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default nef 410?

I just got a new new england firearms .410 with a full choke. I put a scope on it. I was just wondering how good this gun would shoot with just a winchester slug? I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet and was just wondering what to expect. How far would the maxium distance be for a 410 tokill a deer? Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: nef 410?

ORIGINAL: blondiez24

I just got a new new england firearms .410 with a full choke. I put a scope on it. I was just wondering how good this gun would shoot with just a winchester slug? I haven't got a chance to shoot it yet and was just wondering what to expect. How far would the maxium distance be for a 410 tokill a deer? Thanks
A 410 slug barely makes 500 ft/lbs at 50 yards. I wouldn't use it beyond that range. Actually, I wouldn't use it at all but...
Old 11-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good way to end up in the ER....don't shoot a slug through a full choke!
Old 11-17-2006, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Holy crap. You are rightI didn't even catch that sorry.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I have always shot slugs through my 12 gauge full choke. It always did fine. Now like a super full or xtra full that would be different. I bought from a gun shop specifically to deer hunt with they said it would shoot slugs good. I was just wondering how accurate they are? Also what the effective range is out to? My dad killed a 10 point at 60 yards when he was like 17 years old with a .410. I was figuring maybe 75 yards max I don't know though. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Well I shot it today at 45 yards. I coul only get it to group about a 5 inch group. That is with winchester 3 inch slugs. I called the place I bought it, and asked if it was safe to shoot he said yes people have been shooting through full chokes for 50 years. Well I told him it wasn't grouping that well he said you have to shoot a bunch of different slugs, because some will shoot better out of a full choke than others. So do you guys have any idea which slugs would be best out of this gun?? Thanks
Old 11-17-2006, 04:15 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

That is an old wives tale, I have been shooting slugs through a full choke for years, including my full choke Pardner 10 Gauge, nothing happens.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:47 PM

Rifled slugs will shoot thru a full choke, if it wasn't a rifled slug I wouldn't do it though. The rifling is there to crush as it goes through the choke. However full chokes usually don't give too good of accuracy, it really deforms the slug when it exits. You would have better luck if it were a modified or IC choke. Good luck finding that in a 410 though. From what I understand most are full choke which is why they can be a bit tricky to shoot.

As far as distance, my advice would be to stay in bow ranges, say 30 yards or so, 50 would be pushing it unless your gun was pretty darn accurate at that distance and you could put the bullet right where you wanted it.

Stepping up to a 20 ga is much better for deer.

Personally I would rather use a .357 revolver over a 410 slug if given the choice.

Paul
Old 11-17-2006, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr

Rifled slugs will shoot thru a full choke, if it wasn't a rifled slug I wouldn't do it though. The rifling is there to crush as it goes through the choke. However full chokes usually don't give too good of accuracy, it really deforms the slug when it exits. You would have better luck if it were a modified or IC choke. Good luck finding that in a 410 though. From what I understand most are full choke which is why they can be a bit tricky to shoot.

As far as distance, my advice would be to stay in bow ranges, say 30 yards or so, 50 would be pushing it unless your gun was pretty darn accurate at that distance and you could put the bullet right where you wanted it.

Stepping up to a 20 ga is much better for deer.

Personally I would rather use a .357 revolver over a 410 slug if given the choice.

Paul
Yeah., the accuracy of a slug after passing through a full choke sucks pretty bad.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Fork Horn

Blondiez-

You should try brenneke 3" slugs.My.410 mossberg 500seem to group good with them, I get 2" inch groups out to 40 yards.40 yardsis the max I'll shoot a deer with a .410 slug. Paul L. pretty much explain about shooting a slug through a full choke and I've been shooting mine for 6 years now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.