Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Springfield 1903 for hunting

Old 11-16-2006, 11:51 AM
Fork Horn

Default Springfield 1903 for hunting

Looking for some feedback on this one. I bought an '03 from the CMP this past June and would like to make use of it for something other than killing paper. However, as I'm sure most of you know, the stock on an '03 is a bit short for a hunting rifle and the ladder sight isn't good for hunting.

Sooooo, I'm am trolling ebay and other web sites looking for a cheap (<$35), used, monte-carlo type hunting stock to put on my '03 as well as possibly buying an S&K insta-mount scope mount. Another option for the stock is a Ramline synthetic stock, which will require some tweaking for fit.

Can any gunsmiths out there give me a ballpark figure for how much it would take to fit a wood and/or a synthetic stock to an '03 action? The insta-mount will probably also require a small bit of inletting on the stock for the mount to attach to the forward part of the receiver.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Anybody else use an '03 for deer hunting? If I had an 03-A3 with the aperture sights, I guess I'd just be looking at replacing the stock, but I've got the original design.
Old 11-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-16-2006, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Springfield 1903 for hunting

Why not just use the S&K mount and keep the stock the same. A synthetic stock probably isn't going to help the rifle shoot better, in fact it can diminish the accuracy. The '03s are bedded so that there is roughly 10lbs of upward pressure at the end of the barrel from the stock- they shoot best this way.

If you have a straight stock (which you probably do) the only disadvantage is the lack of a pistol type grip on the stock. You'll need raise the cheek on the stock to get your eye level with the scope- I reccommend a Beartooth Comb Raising kit. Its basicly a stretchy polyurethane sock that comes with cheek pieces of different thicknesses, that you slip over the stock to adjust the comb with no permanent modifications. I have one of these on my swedish sharpshooter rifle because otherwise I would have to turkeyneck to see through the scope.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

the stock on an '03 is a bit short for a hunting rifle
Most people believe this until they see the '03 compared with every other rifle- it has roughly the same length of pull as any other standard rifle stock made +/- 1/4" Just buy a slip on recoil pad if it feels a bit to short for you.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 03 that was redone by RI in 1944. They added a scope base(hinges where bolt release is at), and has a peep sight. Has your rifle been reconditioned? It should be stamped if it was. I believe the valuable ones are the ones that have not been reconditioned. I would not alter one that had not been reconditioned. I believe all the CMP rifles have been redone, therefore collector value is not high. If you want to alter a recon., I do not think you would hurt it too much. I have one right now with a scope mount from RI that I would sell for $300. Tom.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good buddy from college shoots his grandfathers that he brought back from WWII. He put a military period correct mount on it, with a fairly modern redfield, and has killed deer out to 150 yards with it. Best thing is, he has taken great care of it, and since he only deer hunts every once in a while, it suits his needs nicely.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please do not sporterize this rifle. A lot of people hunt with mil-surps. I hunt often with my MN M44. Hunting with one of these rifles can add a whole new dimension and level of pleasure to the sport.

I would get the scope mount made for this rifle. Or (watch out, crazy idea here) you can practice shooting with the iron sights. The sights are fine for hunting. Like any tool, you just have to become proficient with it first.

Oh, and I'm not on a high horse here. I myself sporterized one of my MN's and I've regretted it ever since. Most of the synthetic stocks they make for mil-surps suck anyway. Nothing, and I mean Nothing, ever fits perfect. I would honestly say that it's mostly a waste of money to sporterize one anyway, but it made me feel horrible later when I stood back and looked at what I did to this piece of history.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have no plans, repeat no plans, to sporterize my CMP Springfield. At most I would swap out the stock and possibly put a scope mount on it that didn't require any drilling and tapping. I don't want to do anything that would prevent me from putting the rifle back into original condition. Mine isn't in the best of shape. The stock is the straight kind, but with the finger groove. It's beat up pretty bad. My '03 was one of those Greek returns and has some of that black parkerizing that must have been popular with the Greeks, although the receiver itself does not have that black stuff. It's got a pinned floor plate that many of the Greek returns had. What I'd really like to do is one day get the whole thing either reblued or parkerized and buy a Boyd's stock or something and restore it.

I may go with elgallo114 and just practice with the iron sights to see what I can do. The small aperture sight is rated for 100 yards, so if I can do OK with it at the range tomorrow, I may try it this weekend. Where I currently hunt, all of my shots are under 50 yards, so I wouldn't have to be an expert marksman to put the bullet where I needed it.

I'm just researching my options.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 PM

You can probably find a 1903 that is already sprterized for a decent price. I sometimes hunt with a M17 (sometimes called the p17) that is sporterized. Leave the CMP 1903 alone. I know it would be cool to hunt with it but find one that has already been batsardized.
good luck
Old 11-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

if you decide to sporterize it let me know Ill buy all the original harware and furniture off you. so I can un-sporterize mine that my father sporterized back in the 80's and then just junked the original parts I could kick'em lol he just through the orginal sights and stock in the trash[:@][:@][:@][:'(][:'(][:'(].

Quick Reply: Springfield 1903 for hunting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.