Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet Manufactor?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:27 AM

Default Bullet Manufactor?

The guys around here say the Hornady bullets are best for say a 300 Winchester. And a few say the Federals are just as good. What manufactor do you guys recomend as the "best" store bought cartridge?
Old 11-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bullet Manufactor?

In terms of performance, Hornady is probably the best. Federal has some great individual loads but overall Hornady is probably slightly better.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

It really doesn't matter who makes it as long as it's a bullet properly constructed for the game you are hunting and it shoots well in your rifle.

None of my rifles shoot the same bullet from the same manufacturer with equalaccuracy.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

It really doesn't matter who makes it
I guess if you don't care about having the best load possible yeah you're right.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

The best load is a tough question but has to include how it shoots in your rifle. The best and fastest load on the planet is worthless if it won't hit the Mark. Hornady makes a number of good bullets but their loads ( factory ammo) is limited and they don't load for all calibers. Federal uses many companies bullets such as Barnes, Nosler and Speer just to name a few. Remington makes a good load with their bonded corlockts but again they make only some of the many available cartridges. I quess because of the wide range of components that they use, Federal may offer the widest range of calibers and loads of different qualities, Somewhere in there, they may be the best.

Your gun will tell you if you try enough loads.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

It really doesn't matter who makes it as long as it's a bullet properly constructed for the game you are hunting and it shoots well in your rifle.
Ditto.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM

Rifles are individual, not all will shoot the same load the same. Just because your buddies gun likes a certain grain bullet from a particular manufacturer doesn't mean yours will shoot it well. You need to experiment to see what YOUR gun prefers.

I have had good luck with winchester ammo in the past, so I usually start there, but if I can't get good results with that I try a different brand.

I will say that hornady makes good ammo as far as quality control and testing goes, but if your rifle doesn't like that load it doesn't matter.

And not all ammo is made by who you think it's made by either. Take the 17HMR, I believe it is all manufactured by CCI, there might be a few others now, I'm not sure. However Hornady, remington and CCI of course are all made at the CCI plant to the manufacturers specs. Pretty much if it comes in one of those plastic boxes CCI uses it was made by them. But since they are made to slightly different specs they will shoot different out of different guns. Mine prefers the Hornady v-max rounds.

Paul
Old 11-14-2006, 03:32 PM

Horandy for best performance, Federal for bullet selection.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

......................... yeah you're right.
I am glad you finally realized that.

Your precious Hornady HE load for your .308 WILL NOT shoot good in every gun you attempt to fire it from. Just becasue Hornady shoots good in your one and onlyrifle does not, by any means, mean that my gun, or anyone elses gun, will shoot it beter than the hundreds of other loads available for a particular chambering. Actually the odds are highly stacked against it shooting the best.

The "best load possible" is the load that shoots the best out of a particular firearm with a bullet of proper construction for the animal being targeted. Regardless of who's name is stamped on the box.

Some advie for you..........It is far better to keep your mouth shut and let every one think you are a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

......................... yeah you're right.
I am glad you finally realized that.

Your precious Hornady HE load for your .308 WILL NOT shoot good in every gun you attempt to fire it from. Just becasue Hornady shoots good in your one and onlyrifle does not, by any means, mean that my gun, or anyone elses gun, will shoot it beter than the hundreds of other loads available for a particular chambering. Actually the odds are highly stacked against it shooting the best.

The "best load possible" is the load that shoots the best out of a particular firearm with a bullet of proper construction for the animal being targeted. Regardless of who's name is stamped on the box.

Some advie for you..........It is far better to keep your mouth shut and let every one think you are a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Listen idiot:

It matters which load you choose. Period.That was my only point. I didn't even reccomend "my" load so don't bring your grudge holding crap in here, it's rude and immature.

They aren't all the same so of course it matters. If you don't care then go buy PMC or something and shut up. If you do beleive that not all ammo is created equally than you take the time to find out what the best load is. Whatever that means to you.

He wanted a general idea of who has the better cartridges....and I told him.

I didn't tell him to buy anything and I didn't tell him which load he needs and I didn't tell him to get the fastest or highest energy load out there so get off my freakin back, moron.

You don't even know wtf your talking about! I shoot aFederal HE load! Hornady doesn't have an HE load it's the Light Magnum.

Get off your stupid idea the light magnums or high energy loads aren't accurate because you have no idea what your talking about....at all.

It's all dependent on the gun like you said. And "the odds" aren't "stacked" against anything. They make LM and HE loads just the same as the others they just load them a little hotter. It's not like they have special bullets or special primers.If you want to make stupid statements like that then you'd better start testing and bring some knowledge instead of the crap you've been posting.

...and I don't give a crap if you're a "gunsmith". I'vemet plenty of gunsmiths whodon'tknowthe first thing about ballistics.

....then have the nerve to claim I sound like a fool. Yeah you've got me figured out. You're the one that sounds like a fool, and keep your idiotic proverbs to yourself Confucious.

Quick Reply: Bullet Manufactor?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.