Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet Manufactor?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Bullet Manufactor?

Try as many as you can. Make sure the bullet is suitable for the game you are pursuing and make sure the load consistantly hits its mark from box to box.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:22 PM

Pick from any of the well known brands and find a/the bullets you gun shoots well. The "perfect" bullet will still give you a nightmare if it goes into a gut-shot. If you find a couple your gun likes then you can ask the guys here if they've had success with "x" bullet on "x" game. Between the lot of us alot of bullets have been tried on alot of game.

No one brand makes the best...there is no "best". Different bullets do different things. Different bullets have different purposes, but the reputable makers didn't get that way by producing junk bullets. Also, premium bullets are generally very good, but you don't HAVE to spend $0.60 per bullet to have a great load.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess we should have started with, do you mean bullets, or cartridges. The bullet is only the projectile. I assumed you meant cartridges.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Pick from any of the well known brands and find a/the bullets you gun shoots well. The "perfect" bullet will still give you a nightmare if it goes into a gut-shot. If you find a couple your gun likes then you can ask the guys here if they've had success with "x" bullet on "x" game. Between the lot of us alot of bullets have been tried on alot of game.

No one brand makes the best...there is no "best". Different bullets do different things. Different bullets have different purposes, but the reputable makers didn't get that way by producing junk bullets. Also, premium bullets are generally very good, but you don't HAVE to spend $0.60 per bullet to have a great load.
Some even go to $1 per. Also, I think he meant cartridge but in his original post it wasn't exactly clear.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Get off your stupid idea the light magnums or high energy loads aren't accurate because you have no idea what your talking about....at all.
I have personallywitnessed light magnum and HE loads being very inaccurate in several rifles.On average they were less accurate than many other loadsin the rifles that I have seen them used in.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

It really doesn't matter who makes it as long as it's a bullet properly constructed for the game you are hunting and it shoots well in your rifle.

None of my rifles shoot the same bullet from the same manufacturer with equalaccuracy.
Your absolutely right sir, it doesn't matter about the name on the box, its about the bullet.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I tried HE loads and they did not shoot any where near as good as my handloads, but I wanted to try them. Every rifle is different and even two exact same rifles from the same manufacturer will potentially prefer two different loads or factory round. To say that brand x shoots better than brand y is only valid for one rifle. Anybody who has owned a few rifles and expiremented a bit with ammo/loading knows that. Try a few and pick whatever shoots best. As for bullet performance it basically falls into standard velocity conventionals vs premiums. The higher the velocity of the round the more premiums perform better.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

Get off your stupid idea the light magnums or high energy loads aren't accurate because you have no idea what your talking about....at all.
I have personallywitnessed light magnum and HE loads being very inaccurate in several rifles.On average they were less accurate than many other loadsin the rifles that I have seen them used in.
I've personally witnessed non "HE" Winchester (moly) and Remington loads in several rifles that were less accurate or downright terrible. Where does that leave us?

There is a difference between "inaccurate" and "less accurate".

Inaccurate would mean "not suitable for hunting purposes" or bigger than what, 3 inches at 100 yards? "Less accurate" means less accurate than the person that isn't flinching from the increased recoil?

I'm pretty sure than any load that will shoot sub 1"@ 200 yards in my rifle will be plenty accurate in the average rifle for normal hunter purposes.

For the record I'm attempting to tell him what will shoot better in his rifle. What I'm saying is: in general, if you take into account all loads and all rifles, Hornady probably has a slight edge in quality and consistently. Did anyone say that a freakin' PMC or a handload won't be the best load for his rifle? No, no one is saying that so stop strawman-ing.

If one company was the best for everyone there wouldn't be handloaders or other ammo companies.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

He asked for the "best cartridge" and you told him......
In terms of performance, Hornady is probably the best.
I tell him...........
It really doesn't matter who makes it as long as it's a bullet properly constructed for the game you are hunting and it shoots well in your rifle.
Then you come back and like the smart arse you are you say...............
I guess if you don't care about having the best load possible yeah you're right.
And I'm the one being rude and immature. [&:]I wasn't even trying to start another argument with you when I posted originallybut you gotta be a smart arse with your " 'best load possible'.......... yeah your're right comment."
You don't even know wtf your talking about! I shoot aFederal HE load!
I guess you're not shooting the "best load possible either".
It's all dependent on the gun like you said.
That was the only point I was trying to tell him. It makes no difference who has their name on the box.
They make LM and HE loads just the same as the others they just load them a little hotter. It's not like they have special bullets or special primers.
These loads do use special powders not available to you or me. And they are not hot loads. They are still regulated by SAAMIjust like every other factory loaded cartridge out there.

What I'm saying is: in general, if you take into account all loads and all rifles, Hornady probably has a slight edge in quality and consistently.
Then say that from the start.......... Read the quotes from your posts above. "Hornady is probably the best" and "I guess if you don't mind not having the best load possible....." They are your words not ours.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet is to try some different loads in your gun and see what shoots good. If your just going for deer you don't need the more expensive stuff but it sure looks cool.

Most folks I know all really like the Winchester Supreme ammo. Personally I reload all my stuff so I haven't purchased any factory stuff in a long time. Just remember you don't need the lastest and greatest super bonded 40$ a box stuff. Tons of deer have been killed just as dead with good ol' Remingtion Green box stuff.