Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Need some help / Advice on Rifle selection

Old 11-13-2006, 11:08 PM

Default RE: Need some help / Advice on Rifle selection

I'm just curious nitefox, but at 435 yards, how many clicks did you have to adjust your scope for that shot? BTW look into a Savage package .270
Old 11-14-2006, 12:22 AM

This is gonna sound complicated, but here goes:

If you want to get an idea as to how the different 7mm stack up against each other (or most other cartridges) go to remington's website. There's a free program call Remshoot you can download. (Go to "products" then "ammunition" then "ballistics"...you can use the thing online or download a slightly expanded version of it by clicking on the little graph icon) That program can give you a graph comparison of Muzzle velocities, bullet drop, wind drift, energy levels and so on.

Personally, I'd look at 30 calibers if elk was on the ticket. However, I'm also the guy who's looking pretty hard at the 25 cals for deer.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:14 AM

I just picked up a tikka t3 for 599. Better trigger and accuracy than any of the guns you listed. 7mm is a smooth gun, and acctually has better down range power than a 300 wby if you can believe that.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nitefox, here's the reason you wouldn't want to get a 270 WSM.

The 270 WSM was, besides being a good caliber on the ballistics, to reduce recoil, and to do so, the 270 WSM was given an abnormally fat case, which, on the one hand, reduces recoil, but, on the other, it reduces the magazine capacity, and when you hunt elk, you'll usually need more thanone shot, and it's better to have more bullets, because elk are very tough, and the number of bullets in it will make a difference, no matter how fast it enters in. That's why I would recommend a 7mm Rem. Mag. However, the 7mm Rem. Mag. has pretty bad recoil, so you'll have to practice with it alot so that you can get used to it, and, you can do what I do, I go to the gym and work out, and that forms muscle around the arm, and while doing so, it makes muscle around the shoulder.
Muscle will be like your god-given recoil pad.

Another thing, when you do your follow-up-shots, it's good to have a smooth action, and Savage rifles, are known for having rough actions, which are harder to operate. A Remington actionwould be better, I frankly don't know about Ruger, but I've heard they're good rifles.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:15 AM

Im not quite sure how to post quotesbut in reply to chantecler i didntadjust thescope at all,I sighted that rifle in for my friend so im quite familiar with it i put it3-4inches above the top of his shoulder, really just enoughto see daylight between his shoulder and the crosshairs, and thats all she wrote.

Ok im getting some mixed messages but right now i think i should be looking at:

Calibers avaliable for the Remington 700 SPS:
270 Win - Holds 4
270 WSM (younggun i know you advised against it but the.270 WSM however i feel that with 4 shots i could get the job done? unless this is wrong) *3 in the clip and 1 in the camber*
7mm-08 Rem - Holds 4
7mm Rem Mag - Holds 3 just as many as the 270 WSM
30-06 - Holds 4

The Rugers im lookingat arethe Ruger Sporter and the all weather which come in the following:
Sporter-
.270 Win
.280 Rem
7mm Rem Mag
.30-06 Sprg

Allweather-
7mm-08 Rem.
.270 Win
.280 Rem
7mm Rem Mag
.30-06 Sprg

Thanks for all your help so far guys
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 AM

chantecler - it was also down hill a bit from me so i didnt need to compensate quite as much
Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was me I would be looking at an A-bolt Stalker in 7mm Rem mag, or a Tikka T3 in 7mm Rem mag. Both are worlds ahead of Savage and Remington. The Rugers have really crappy triggers from the factory, and alot of them have bedding issues. I've had 2 Ruger M77s that I have traded off, and a buddy that stuck abotu 150-200 in his to make it shoot good.

If you need more than 4 rounds to kill an elk, you better be looking for another past time youngun243.....
Old 11-14-2006, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most of the magnums are going to hold 3+1 and standard cartridges will hold 4+1.

Elk are definetly tougher than deer but by no means are bullet proof. I have taken enough with the standard ole .270 Winchester to know that one bullet is all it takes. If you need a second shot it isn't the guns or the bullets fault. Having said that, I would still shoot again if he is still offering another shot regardless of which cartridge i was shooting.

Any of the WSM's are excelent elk medicine as are the regular magnums and standard cartridges in the same calibers.

Since you will obviously see some long range shooting in TexasI would opt for the magnum versions of the .270 or the 7mm's. Not that the standard cartridges wouldn't have plenty enough energy at extended distances but the flatter shooting magnum would be a benefit at 400+ yards.

AS far as the guns go you could get a real shooter or one that won't hold a group to save your life with any of them. Remember that they are all "production" guns and with all mass produced items a bad one gets out every so often. Most likely you will get a gun that will shoot about 1.5" at 100 yards with most ammo you feed it.

Ruger, Remington, Browning, Howa (Weatherby vanguard), Savage, Tikka and a host of others are vry good rifles that will last you a lifetime. Hold and shoulder as many as possible and choose one that feels best to you in one of the cartridges listed in this thread.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

You would be hard pressed to find a better deer rifle than the 700 SPS Remington 270 which comes with a 24 inch barrel. Put a 3200 Elite Bushnell Scope on it and you are set for life.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

All are very good. The only problem you might have with a 270 wsm is ammo availability not to mention possibly the cost. You can find good factory ammo for the 06 and 270 win. for about $13.00 a box. When you start going to the short mags or rem. ultra mags you are looking at closer to $25.00

Quick Reply: Need some help / Advice on Rifle selection

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.