Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

gun problem?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default gun problem?

ok guys and gals i really need your help. Today i took my Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 to the range. I was shooting at 100 yards with 180 grain remington core lokts kneeling with the gun rested on a wood bench. I would shoot three rounds and then go check the target. Everytime one bullet would be right in the heart and the others would be around the edge of the vitals. It seemed like it was always my first shot that was in the vitals. Do you think it was just me (i tried not to flinch, slow trigger pull, controlled my breathing) or do you think there is potentially a problem with my gun (warped barrel?). Thanks for any help you can give me
Old 11-12-2006, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: gun problem?

ORIGINAL: Tikka 30-06

ok guys and gals i really need your help. Today i took my Tikka T3 Lite in 30-06 to the range. I was shooting at 100 yards with 180 grain remington core lokts kneeling with the gun rested on a wood bench. I would shoot three rounds and then go check the target. Everytime one bullet would be right in the heart and the others would be around the edge of the vitals. It seemed like it was always my first shot that was in the vitals. Do you think it was just me (i tried not to flinch, slow trigger pull, controlled my breathing) or do you think there is potentially a problem with my gun (warped barrel?). Thanks for any help you can give me
Well I don't know for sure but there is alot more room for error in the shooter as opposed ot the gun.

What you need to do is go back to the range and use a rifle target for sighting in not an animal target.

You need to shoot several strings of three shot series and see if the same thing happens reliably. If you can reproduce the groups widening on a consistent basis with more than one type of ammo, than you may have an issue. But even then I doubt it's your barrel. I don't know how you would get barrel to warp unless you were a varmint hunter shooting tons of rounds in an hour.

One thing to consider. When you shoot a round out of a clean barrel, you can expect the point of impact to change between the first round, otherwise known as the "fouling shot" and the subsequent rounds. But it shouldn't be as much as you're talking about.

One thing you could do is: clean your bore and inspect it closely with a bore light. Then inspect your barrel crown.

YOu could also have a bad lot of ammo. I would try several different brands/weights.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:58 PM

I agree with brutal on this one, plus I think you should be shooting off a bench when sighting in your rifle! Good sandbags or a rifle rest will help to remove the human error. Then if you still aren't satisfied lett someone else shoot your rifle, then if the problem is still there come back and post again. I know some will take offence to my suggesting to let another person fire their rifle, but their is a reason for it. Ammo cost just to darn much to keep wasting it. Sometimes ,and just today we were shooting several rifles at my range and a friend, who has just bought a new A-BOLT in 300 RUM wanted me to sight it in for him. After 4 shots I had the rifle shooting 1.125" groups and 1" low.He wanted to shoot it to see if he liked the gun. He proceded to shoot a 5"group and was jerking all over the place.I told him to let the barrel cool and now I'm trying to decide what will help him.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also tried a box of Federal 180's and some Fusion 180's and they were just spread all over the target.

Also, a guy at the range said that i shouldnt clean my barrel before deer season because of what Brutal was talkin about. But, our season is a week away so i wont be able to clean the barrel for 2 weeks. I was always taught to clean my gun right away, so will not cleaning it be alright. Just to let you know that this thing is my baby and i dont wanna hurt her
Old 11-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also tried a box of Federal 180's and some Fusion 180's and they were just spread all over the target.

Also, a guy at the range said that i shouldnt clean my barrel before deer season because of what Brutal was talkin about. But, our season is a week away so i wont be able to clean the barrel for 2 weeks. I was always taught to clean my gun right away, so will not cleaning it be alright. Just to let you know that this thing is my baby and i dont wanna hurt her
You need to have someone who is a good shooter also shoot it. The idea is to take the human error out of the equation.

You may just not have a good enough rest. You need to get on a bench with bags etc.

One thing I would do now is clean it and inspect the bore with a bore light. Look for pits or blemishes of any kind.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM

Working at a shooting range,I think it sounds like a flinch more than anything, its the classic first shot in, everything else out. You'll get used to the recoil after awhile, just take your time, and make every shot count, good luck, hope I helped.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You shouldn't be kneeling either. YOu should be sitting at the bench with your gun in a shooters rest or resting on sandbags.
Old 11-12-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it. but will it be alright not cleaned for 2 weeks or should i just clean it and then make sure the barrel is as dry as possible
Old 11-12-2006, 10:58 PM

thanks for all the help guys i really appreciate it. but will it be alright not cleaned for 2 weeks or should i just clean it and then make sure the barrel is as dry as possible
You don't have to clean it, I, myself, feel guilty if I let a dirty gun go for more than 1 day.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tikka 30-06:

Tikka rifles are guaranteed to shoot 1.00" three shot groups. Did your rifle come with a factory target showing the group and kind of ammo they used?

Quick Reply: gun problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.